3d printed metal gun.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Aglifter

Re: 3d printed metal gun.

Post by Aglifter »

That is nifty!
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

thanks for that link.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:I'd like to point out that it will be highly unlikely that "people" will own these machines, but rather companies and schools will. ... So this whole "raid" theory is just paranoid fantasy.
I understand that completely. Still, didn't Gibson guitar get raided not to long ago over exotic wood?

When I wrote my paranoid rant the other day I was really thinking more of the plastic 3D printer, many of which ARE in the realm of the serious hobbiest or small-scale manufacturer (I'm thinking of model trains since that's the hobby I know best that would use such a printer. Trust me, you can spend a LOT of time and throw away a LOT of material building a master for a mold of an HO scale passenger car, making it in software, in larger scale for aging eyes, then "printing" in HO scale would be greatly preferable.)

As a general rule the people who make the laws don't know jack about the things they're making laws about, and "3D printed guns" have been in the news lately, which puts them in the minds of legislators, bureaucrats, and other people who like making laws about things they don't understand. I don't know that I'd risk buying a 3D printer for my hobby, all that would have to happen would be some bureaucrat decide 3D plastic guns are a real danger to society, he gets the list from Best Buy of who bought one in the last year, the cross-reference to the list of NJ Firearms ID holders (people with an interest in firearms), the X lands on the D household, friendly judge gives a warrant and my junk-on-the-trunk picture shows a distressingly small "arsenal" and a bunch of model train parts that the "experts" will SWEAR are firearms parts. Yeah, I'll probably beat it, but lawyers are expensive too.

Maybe NJ officals wouldn't do such a thing, but do you think Bloomberg might?

I've said it enough times that I should just make it my sig, I'm seldom afraid of being paranoid, I'm often afraid of being insufficiently paranoid.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aglifter wrote:That is nifty!
A bleeding edge machine and DMG is involved? What a shock. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

3DP stocks have been hot lately: bubble-ish even. Speculation about consolidation starting in the industry now with Stratasys having paid a bunch for Makerbot and Meg Whitman saying HP is going to hard into 3DP. fwiw
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

If HP does buy 3DP, I fully expect them to fuck it up - They really have no experience as a machine tool company, and what that customer base expects. A better choice would be DMG, Hurco, Haas(outside Haas's corporate outlook, they don't do bleeding edge, they do "80%" machines, at as low a price as possible). A possible merger with other machine tool builders, like what created DMG(DMG stands for Deckel, Maho, Guildmeister, three former very high end machine tool builders, who saw the writing on the wall with the coming of CNC). I could see Flow or Omax(waterjet) merging with 3DP and say Charmillies(EDM) to form a similar company.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Necro update,: Mark Serbu has come up with a stupid simple single shot 22 rimfire pistol, made mostly from barstock. A lone individual with a tormach or minimill, combined with a plasma gantry, can probably make a couple of dozen a week

Linky

JustinR

Post by JustinR »

HTRN wrote:Necro update,: Mark Serbu has come up with a stupid simple single shot 22 rimfire pistol, made mostly from barstock. A lone individual with a tormach or minimill, combined with a plasma gantry, can probably make a couple of dozen a week

Linky
Just bought the plans to try it out. I'll be doing it with hand tools and a small drill press. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I saw his and Royalnunsuch's video on it. Both if those where bored/rifled on Serbu's machine. What is the method you plan to use for the bore and rifling?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 10974.aspx

:)

Also, on his Twitter feed, he has a picture of a button rifling tool he created. I haven't been able to find any more details yet.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL