Mill Ruger LCR topstrap for a red dot?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Captain Wheelgun

Mill Ruger LCR topstrap for a red dot?

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

This may turn out to be a Bad Idea Thread (tm), but lately I’ve been thinking about the possibility of having a red dot sight mounted on my Ruger LCR .327.

After looking at it I think it should be possible to mill the topstrap flat, then drill and tap a couple of holes to allow attaching a mounting plate for one of the micro dot sights. This would make the dot the only sight since there’s likely no way to have back-up irons.

What do y’all think? Good, bad, magic brownies?

Any recommendations for a gunsmith in Central Texas who might be able to do this?

Oh, and before y’all ask, yes, I’m still working on book 3. I’ve got a little over 21,000 words so far, trying to work out some plot details.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
SoupOrMan

Re: Mill Ruger LCR topstrap for a red dot?

Post by SoupOrMan »

Wait, this is the plastic frame revolver, right? If the topstrap is thicker than necessary like the metal revolvers, you should be okay.

I'd be careful either way.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

From just looking at Ruger's website, description says aluminum frame and polymer fire control housing. From what I can see there MIGHT be enough aluminum there. I would certainly mill as little as possible to make a flat.

If you go trough with the idea keep a close eye on it for any developing cracks.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

ummm, crimson trace grip?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

SoupOrMan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:57 am Wait, this is the plastic frame revolver, right? If the topstrap is thicker than necessary like the metal revolvers, you should be okay.

I'd be careful either way.
The actual frame, the part that holds the cylinder and barrel, is steel on the .327 and .357 versions, aluminum on the others. Only the grip frame is polymer.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Err... I think it is a bad idea. I would suggest instead drilling for a mount if you have to and dropping it on top.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm Err... I think it is a bad idea. I would suggest instead drilling for a mount if you have to and dropping it on top.
If the top strap is a nice consistent radius you might be able to get the mount milled to a matching radius.