Fallout from Bruen

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

Fallout from Bruen

Post by Precision »

It looks like Bruen is being used to slowly strip NYC and NYS of many of its draconian anti gun laws.
Similar things in Colorado, Maryland, DC, hopefully NJ, Hawaii and on down the line.

I think May issue is effectively dead.

I think ammo quantity and type restrictions are going to be seriously rolled back. Pretty sure FOID cards are going away.
This will all take lawsuits, appeals and essentially a fair amount of time (3-5 years).

The question I have, do you think it is ground breaking / strong enough to cripple or better yet topple the NFA regulations?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Re: Fallout from Bruen

Post by Precision »

no opinions on this? I find that tough to imagine from this group. lol
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I am afraid that it isn't going to end up making much difference in the long term. If they do as before, give us a potentially game changing ruling, and then refuse to take further cases, the lower courts will continue to defy them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:34 pm I am afraid that it isn't going to end up making much difference in the long term. If they do as before, give us a potentially game changing ruling, and then refuse to take further cases, the lower courts will continue to defy them.
That is a point I haven't considered. A crappy, but likely true point.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

then we need to elect/appoint/support "lesser magistrates" who will defy the lower courts.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

It will probably go like everything else. If they like what the law says, they will follow/enforce it. If they don't they will ignore it and do what ever they want to.

They lost legally but will just slow walk things until they get some event that gets the mushy middle on their side to amend out the second. If that does not work they can keep pushing the Overton window far enough that the few people left that care about the second can just be locked up.
evan price

Post by evan price »

The Supremes seem to do a lot of hit and run decisions. They make a major case like Bruen then they don't follow up on what happens next, and the lower courts pick it to pieces and then the Supremes don't go back and defend it.
It's almost to the point that it's all for show.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

“May issue” is a bizarre concept under American jurisprudence.

It’s a bit hard to comprehend under the English tradition as well.

Even the commies should be uncomfortable with it.
BDK

Post by BDK »

The biggest issue has been legislatures running away from their duties.

Rome’s Senate did the same thing so I suppose it’s a natural process of degradation but we still need to fight it.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Apropos of the reference to Rome...

Anyone else here read Kurt Schlichter's "We'll Be Back" ?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story