30 SC - new CC ammo

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

30 SC - new CC ammo

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.guns.com/news/2022/01/06/ne ... uper-carry

New cartridge - as of a year ago or so. Interesting, probably not a replacement for 9mm Luger but maybe an option in place of 380.
Cobar

Re: 30 SC - new CC ammo

Post by Cobar »

It is interesting. If I was considering .380 it would probably be a better choice. On the other hand, I would probably just take 9mm. From what I have seen the recoil is very, very close to 9mm, so it probably would not appeal to the people actually interested in 9mm. I guess the intended market is people that want a few more rounds per mag and willing to give up some power of the 9mm.
Precision

Post by Precision »

my issues / questions would be:

is it gonna stay around for more than the figurative 15 minutes of fame
is it going to have reloading support any time soon
will any gun makers build a gun that holds 6 -8 rounds that takes advantage of the smaller form factor (Keltec P3AT) sized gun
meaning I don't want a gun like that with more capacity. I want a gun like that which is skinnier /lighter / smaller for DEEP conceal
can I get a moon clip j frame with a 6 round cylinder
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Precision wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:07 pm my issues / questions would be:

will any gun makers build a gun that holds 6 -8 rounds that takes advantage of the smaller form factor (Keltec P3AT) sized gun
meaning I don't want a gun like that with more capacity. I want a gun like that which is skinnier /lighter / smaller for DEEP conceal
As far as reloading support, it’s basically a rimless 327 Federal Magnum, uses the same.312 diameter bullets. IIRC, dies are already available.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Precision wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:07 pm my issues / questions would be:

I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of a really small pistol. That actually makes it more interesting. I don't see too many pistols actually chambered in it, and none in the ultra-small format. If someone goes that route it might be what keeps it around.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Gun Jesus seemed to like it, but then, he's obsessed with french guns, and this cartridge is, in many ways, an updated 32 French long.

Personally, I think it's going to be dead 5 years from now,considering the number of good micro 9s on the market.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:24 am Gun Jesus seemed to like it, but then, he's obsessed with french guns, and this cartridge is, in many ways, an updated 32 French long.

Personally, I think it's going to be dead 5 years from now,considering the number of good micro 9s on the market.
I agree. Most likely a flavor of the month that will make 32 NAA look like a slam dunk win.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
g-man

Post by g-man »

Color me 'meh'. Carving off a portion of the already overtaxed production infrastructure to produce an answer in search of a question seems ill-advised. Especially since (as HTRN mentioned), there are so many good micro 9s available.

Watched some of John Correia's recent Active Self Protection Extra videos discussing round counts in personal defense firearm usage situations, and with one distinct outlier (that involved multiple assailants in a store, with the owner utilizing several 'NY reloads') at 17 rounds, the high round count for all encounters was 11 shots. With something like 90% (estimated) of defensive encounters requiring zero rounds, needing more than 10 rounds is out in 6-sigma territory.

So, when the flush-fit mag in my Hellcat is 11+1, this begs the question "Do I really need any more?" I still carry a reload, but that's mostly because it better distributes the tension along my beltline. With a different holster I could likely carry the extended 15+1 setup in the gun, which puts me pretty deep into statistical anomaly territory. Moving from a compact 1911 with 7+1 to 11+1 or 15+1 capacity is already a huge upgrade (caliber aside). And after making that transition, I've never asked myself "What if I could get something between this 9mm and .380, but that holds two more rounds?"
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Precision

Post by Precision »

g-man wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm Color me 'meh'. Carving off a portion of the already overtaxed production infrastructure to produce an answer in search of a question seems ill-advised.
very much this.

g-man wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm So, when the flush-fit mag in my Hellcat is 11+1, this begs the question "Do I really need any more?" I still carry a reload, but that's mostly because it better distributes the tension along my beltline. With a different holster I could likely carry the extended 15+1 setup in the gun, which puts me pretty deep into statistical anomaly territory.
I often either carry my fullsized M&P with a double reload on the other hip, for balancing and mag issues are the most common issue. Or I carry a NY reload with a baby gun.
g-man wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm And after making that transition, I've never asked myself "What if I could get something between this 9mm and .380, but that holds two more rounds?"
I don't think anyone has. More importantly, I don't think many will unless they use it to down form factor the gun as opposed to adding two rounds.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Precision wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:12 pm I don't think anyone has. More importantly, I don't think many will unless they use it to down form factor the gun as opposed to adding two rounds.
This is the crux of the issue. You want to show me a non-sucky-trigger S&W .380 Bodyguard sized pistol with 6 or 7+1 capacity for DEEP concealment, with much less loss in stopping power than going from 9mm to .380? That might have legs. Marketing this as ‘nearly 9mm, but with moar boolits’ instead of ‘up-gunning from .380 without an increase in pistol size’ is a mistake.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum