AR double feeding

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

Re: AR double feeding

Post by Precision »

Langenator wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:50 am What is the position of the empty case(s) in the double feeds? Are they going nose in to the feed ramps? Angled? Stovepipe? Are they even making it clear of the chamber?
Nose in
Langenator wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:50 am One thing that I haven't seen brought up is it could also be an ejector problem - the brass isn't getting kicked hard enough to pop out the way it should.

With the pistol, though, I would think that the buffer/spring combo is most likely the culprit, followed by the extractor. The shorter the gas tube, the higher the gas pressure (due to being closer to the chamber, thus the gas has had less space to expand into before it reaches the gas port), and thus the faster the bolt group is going to be moving. The balance for that is a heavier buffer and/or a stronger spring. All of my carbines have H1 or H2 buffers. I've never had an AR pistol, but I'd imagine they need at least an H2.
He has an H2 on order. May even be there by now and he is hoping to put some rounds down range with it for Turkey day. We will see.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/