10/22 canted barrel thoughts?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

10/22 canted barrel thoughts?

Post by Weetabix »

I've decided it's time to trick out a 10/22. One part I chose is a Victor Titan22 stock. I chose it after reading this article.

Anyway, Victor has a pdf about canted barrels in 10/22. Apparently, some receivers have the barrel hole slightly misaligned, and the barrel cants a bit to the left. From my reading, it's been going on for quite a while.

I have 4 10/22's:
#1 is from 1976 - haven't checked it. It has a Weaver scope on it and seems to shoot quite well.
#2 has Tech Sights on it and doesn't seem to cant. I haven't checked it carefully yet.
#3 is bone stock and has a decided cant.
#4 came with a Kidd single stage trigger and upgraded sights on the barrel. It has a decided cant.

I plan to I leave #1 alone and build #2. #4 can lose the trigger to the build and keep its aftermarket sights. It should be fine.

My quandary is, do I bother trying to move the Tech Sights to #3? If the barrel is canted, I could dial the Tech Sights in for one specific range. At other ranges, I'll have perceived "windage." My eyes are such that it could be an OK 25 yard gun for paper, I suppose. But I know it will niggle at me that I know it's stuck there. OTOH, I know I don't like the stock sights on a 10/22. Or I could upgrade the sights on the barrel of #3 similar to #4 and sell the Tech Sights.

Any thoughts?

(spoiler: HTRN says, "Buy a mill, learn to use it, then bore and sleeve the faulty receivers so the barrels are properly aligned." ;) )
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Re: 10/22 canted barrel thoughts?

Post by blackeagle603 »

I got an Inland M1 Carbine from CMP a while back. I think I posted about that in a thread here at the time.

The barrel was canted on it. Maybe as part of reassembly during re-arsenaling of it. I don't recall but I think it was Greek return. That barrel was a metric B***h to break free and reset. I gave up on it and went and found me some adult supervision.

I found a local 'smith who was a milsurp geek. It about broke him too but he finally worked out. He picked away at it in his slow time for 2-3 months before finally getting it to come apart without damaging anything.

Really thankful for that guy. He probably didn't make any money on that deal. It turned into a labor of love for him. Probably helped that by the time Ieft it him Candyman had repaired and refinished the cracked stock it came with from CMP. It was looking really nice when I brought in to the shop.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I haven't seen Candyman around the web for a while. Any idea how he's doing?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Lost track of him. Had his contact info for a long time but must have lost it in a phone replacement cycle
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Pawpaw or Termite may have his info too.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:46 am Pawpaw or Termite may have his info too.
I'd like to check in on him to make sure he's ok
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.