Sorta BM 59 conversion

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Sorta BM 59 conversion

Post by Combat Controller »

So... I think I am going to pull the trigger on a .308 Beretta Match Camp Perry Garand in a laminate stock in order to maybe do a semi BM 59 conversion. Thinking maybe M14 mags... Anyone have thoughts or experience?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Re: Sorta BM 59 conversion

Post by HTRN »

I thought most of the "new bm59" floating around are new receivers on parts kits from demilled guns.

I don't really see the appeal of what you're doing - you would essentially be reinventing the M14/M1A.

If you want an interesting idea to do with a Garand, Lothar Walther sells short chambered Garand barrels in 9.3x62. you'd need a pull through reamer to headspace it, along with some milling of the receiver rails because of the cartridges shape verse 30-06... BUT it uses off the shelf Garand clips. It's pretty much the biggest you can go with a Garand these days, since the McCann 458 conversions have become unobtanium. They were supposedly somewhat finicky to boot.

If you're a member of Arfcom, user "fluffythecat" detailed a build of one about a year ago, and went into the various issues he had along the way.

I will say I don't know if I'd tear up a camp perry Garand for this, especially if it's a one holer. There's plenty of rack grade garands to cut up for projects.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Hmmm, .458.... I got a buddy who wants to trade it to me and I can't see why not. But I think the Garand is stupid these days and it is not a historical one to preserve. So I thought maybe make it useful esp as I am not a camp perry guy/////
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The 458 conversion is no longer done by McCann, as the owner who did the conversion died, the company struggled along for awhile, then shut down. IIRC it required extensive rework of the bolt, receiver and used unique and now unavailable enbloc clips. That's why I suggested the 9.3 conversion: it works with the military clips and only needs some minor rail work to function.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Ended up with a James River BM 59 instead. Range report to follow.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Moral of the story: NEW GUN! WOOHOO!!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

have a bad M1A itch that's been in remission for several years. Recently markers have been showing up in my bloodwork suggesting that it is coming back.

Still have a CMP Garand unfired and not yet degreased that I should get to though
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Combat Controller
Site Admin

I think now after I get back from scotland and shoot it I will sell it and consolidate again. Always rethinking.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Any suggestions on wood polishing etc? I want this one to shine and also a few others like my wooden stocked Socom M1a.....