Lee Enfield conversions

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: Lee Enfield conversions

Post by HTRN »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:14 pmThe other thought was .458 Lott but maybe it is not strong enough.
308 ain't strong enough! 458 won't even fit, and if it did, it would stretch the action
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:24 pm It is as much as an Enfield
Technically, and Enfield IS a DBM, butter.. the magazines aren't really meant to be removed - ive heard that they often require fitting...

Go reread what cc wrote - he wanted to convert one of them to 308.. and take M1a mags.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/11366-p ... metal.html not sure if this would fit an FN, but likely someone makes one for it.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

re: https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/11366-p ... metal.html not sure if this would fit an FN, but likely someone makes one for it.

I'll be in my rack
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:03 am re: https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/11366-p ... metal.html not sure if this would fit an FN, but likely someone makes one for it.
Except I'm pretty sure that FN isn't a Mauser, and is in. Fact, a classic Win 70 with the numbers filed off. I do know that FN was using 70s for their police rifles...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm
blackeagle603 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:03 am re: https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/11366-p ... metal.html not sure if this would fit an FN, but likely someone makes one for it.
Except I'm pretty sure that FN isn't a Mauser, and is in. Fact, a classic Win 70 with the numbers filed off. I do know that FN was using 70s for their police rifles...
Could be, they make those too. They make (made?) a 98 based one too, I have no clue when they switched so this could be either so far as I know.

The problem with the FN Mausers that I have heard was they have a couple dimensional differences from the true Mauser ones so 98 accessories do not always fit. The problem with the M70 ones is they are M70 based :lol:
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Well I am happy at least I stirred up some debate
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

405 Win?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 am405 Win?
It's been done in Lee Enfield, and in some ways is a better conversion than 45-70, as it's smaller in diameter than it. But it's still a larger diameter, straight walled cartridge, so it's going to have feeding issues. I personally would stick with something 303, as the Gibbs conversions were notorious for not feeding right out of the box , and often required extensive tweeking to get it to work right. Some of them never did get to feed right. So yeah, I'd stick with something 303 based, they can get pretty big:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/200 ... 3-wildcat/

And nobody here besides me has brought up action strength P14> #4mk1> #1mk3. The last should really only be used with 303 based cartridges,(case head thrust) and pressure limited. Those factory 308 Lee Enfields? Yeah, they're made in India after the war with better metal on, iirc, #4mk2 actions, and they still suffer from lug setback.

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

How much 8mm do you have?

Enfauser