The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Denis

Re: Wiley-X SG-1 safety glasses/ sunglasses

Post by Denis »

Belated welcome wishes!
recoil7899

Post by recoil7899 »

Thanks for the welcoming! Would anyone mind telling me what kind of safety glasses you use when shooting? I'm just curious to see what everyone else is using and of the other options out there. Are they military certified or do you just go with something from the local hardware store? Also what color lens do you guys prefer? Thank you.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Use the Potato Method

1 Cut a potato in quarters or eighths. You can also trim thin, potato chip-like slices from a potato to do this.

2 Rub a piece of the cut potato all over the inside of the mask.

3 Rinse the inside of the mask and put it on.
This WORKS! 25 years ago I had a POS Mercury Capri that blew out the heater core. I was po' and had no dough to fix it. I drove it through a whole winter with no heat. Froze my ass off, but the windshield was fairly clear. :lol:
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

recoil7899 wrote:Thanks for the welcoming! Would anyone mind telling me what kind of safety glasses you use when shooting? I'm just curious to see what everyone else is using and of the other options out there. Are they military certified or do you just go with something from the local hardware store? Also what color lens do you guys prefer? Thank you.
Yellow is a favorite lens color, most of the folks I know use shooting specific glasses, so they are ANSI rated. I wear glasses and my lenses are carbon fiber so they are just as good.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Rudys are popular w. the IPSC crowd, usually in red. I use Zeiss usually - they aren't as protective, but they are very clear.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

BTW - another company you might want to check out is Pyramex, although they have all kinds of safety and personal protection gear, their selection of eyewear is HUGE! And their prices are pretty damn good too!

EDIT:

I've discovered that you should copy the link so you can re-paste it once you get past the location and language selections.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Erik

Post by Erik »

Aglifter wrote:Rudys are popular w. the IPSC crowd, usually in red. I use Zeiss usually - they aren't as protective, but they are very clear.
Rudys are great. I dont have them myself, but I've looked at a pair of Exception, and they really are all I want in sportsglasses, either shooting or fishing. Really sturdy, fits well, and the exchangeable lenses are absolutely great. and comes in lots of colors for all purposes. The only problem with them is the price, the price I was offered to buy them for with prescription polycarbonate lenses was more than I'd like to say out loud. I'd still like to have them, but it was just a bit more than I felt I could justify for them.

I bought a pair of glasses online, and paid something like $40 for them including two clip ons and shipping. It's polycarbonate, but I dont expect the frames to be able to handle much impact, so I'm currently looking at getting a set of ESS ice. They seem to have gotten good reviews and it's one of the few frames I've found that can handle my prescription.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I went with a yellow color for my glasses not just for shooting, but also for some work around the house. You'd be surprised at what it does to enhance the contrast of color vision. I've found more stuff that would choke my lawn mower and lawn vac because of those lenses.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
recoil7899

Post by recoil7899 »

CombatController wrote:
recoil7899 wrote:Thanks for the welcoming! Would anyone mind telling me what kind of safety glasses you use when shooting? I'm just curious to see what everyone else is using and of the other options out there. Are they military certified or do you just go with something from the local hardware store? Also what color lens do you guys prefer? Thank you.
Yellow is a favorite lens color, most of the folks I know use shooting specific glasses, so they are ANSI rated. I wear glasses and my lenses are carbon fiber so they are just as good.
So what brand did you say you used? Would you mind telling me where you got them? Thanks.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Ah, Remington branded, so... no idea.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.