CZ-52 loads ... Grapes of Wrath edition

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

CZ-52 loads ... Grapes of Wrath edition

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm looking for loading data for 7.62x25 in my CZ-52 for the Hornady 85gr XTP, preferably using Unique. My Hornady manuals are not recent enough to have this data, and I haven't found much in my other manuals, or online. I was hoping somebody with a current Hornady manual could check to see if they have applicable data, or maybe direct me to some other source of published data. I found some online data on the website of some dude named "Radek Aster" but I dunno if I can trust it. :mrgreen: I'm also not necessarily looking to push the bleeding edge of what is possible from a 60 year old pistol...
Last edited by Netpackrat on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
cu74

Re: CZ-52 loads

Post by cu74 »

Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook only lists three bullets: Hornady 86 gr FMJ (#1502), Hornady 93 gr. FMJ (#1419) and Hornady(?) cast bullet #313249, 85 gr., sized up to .311" diameter.

Unique listed at:
5.0 - 6.2 for the 86 gr. FMJ
5.0 - 6.3 for the 93 gr. FMJ
4.6 - 6.0 for the 85 gr. cast bullet

Hope this helps.....
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote:I found some online data on the website of some dude named "Radek Aster" but I dunno if I can trust it. :mrgreen:
I can vouch for that dude! ;-)
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks, that helps some since the only Lyman manual I have is for cast bullets only. I'm guessing they list the 85gr cast with a slightly lesser charge to limit velocity and bore leading. Do they list a diameter for the 86gr FMJ in the Lyman book? I can't find specs for those online, and I was wondering if thy are .308", .311", or .312". There is data floating around for the Tok in all 3 diameters, but I thought that they had a .311"-.312" bore (have not slugged mine). The XTP bullets I have are .312" diameter, so it would be nice to verify the diameter of the bullets used in the Lyman data before working up to the max.

Edit to add: I measured the diameter of the bullets in the factory ammo I have (win white box), and it seems to be .308"...
Last edited by Netpackrat on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

FelixEstrella wrote:I can vouch for that dude! ;-)
Well, if one guy with a funny name will vouch for the other guy with a funny name, then the data MUST be reliable. :lol:

cu74

Post by cu74 »

The picture in the Lyman manual showed the bullet diameter as .308 and there was no mention of bullet diameter in the Comments section. Only the "Cast Bullets Used" had the parenthetical "(sized to .311 Dia.)" note.
Last edited by cu74 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Well, crap. I slugged the bore, and the groove diameter is .308"... :oops: Back to the drawing board. Good thing I only bought the one box of XTPs.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

FelixEstrella wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:I found some online data on the website of some dude named "Radek Aster" but I dunno if I can trust it. :mrgreen:
Just dredging this back up for a quick comment. You may be interested to know that I worked up to the max load of 6.9 grains of Unique under the 90 grain XTP, and finally test fired them this morning. I didn't have my chronograph with me, but they fed flawlessly and I did not get any of the case neck issues that were noted. My loads were assembled using once fired WWB brass.

FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:
Just dredging this back up for a quick comment. You may be interested to know that I worked up to the max load of 6.9 grains of Unique under the 90 grain XTP, and finally test fired them this morning. I didn't have my chronograph with me, but they fed flawlessly and I did not get any of the case neck issues that were noted. My loads were assembled using once fired WWB brass.
As I understand it, the case neck separation issues were solved when the stock spring was replaced with an 18lb Wolff spring.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Do the 90 grain XTPs have a .308" diameter? As I recall, when you started this project you had .311" XTP bullets.