Handloading warning:

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

Re: Handloading warning:

Post by Netpackrat »

They weren't actually working on anything, so I don't think it occurred to anyone. They were just sopping up the mess with absorbent pads.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

That is why new shooters should never, ever, be embarrassed for asking what they think is a stupid question. This was obviously NOT a stupid question.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
toad

Post by toad »

Worked for a FBO that serviced both piston and turbo props.
Guess what the piston engine twin commuter pilot did when he fueled up.
Nobody hurt but I was part of the crew that went to fetch it out of field.
It was amazing how to see how clean the pistons and heads were during the tear down. Of course the frosted look was somewhat disturbing.
fast richard

Post by fast richard »

Skydrol is one of the things I don't miss about my old job.

Reloading powder that is not in a sealed factory container is just expensive fertilizer. Even the powder in unknown reloads is just expensive fertilizer. Whoever gave that guy mislabeled powder was setting him up for very bad things if he hadn't had the sense to ask questions in the right place.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Yeah, I saw that over at HighRoad.us. Red Dot in a Unique can.

I recall a time when we were moving. I started packing up the reloading supplies, but I was called away to other things and my wife finished up. This was my first wife. Extremely attractive, unbelievably intelligent, highly degreed and a complete ditz. A week later at the new place I asked her where all my powder was? When we were packing I had seven or eight partial jugs and when we got to the new house, I only had three jugs.

She told me that she had condensed all the powder into those three cans. There was everything from Bullseye, through the dot powders, to the slow burners, all mixed together. There was even two grades of black mixed in the slurry. I went outside and poured it on the roses.

Never buy powder from a source you don't trust.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

BobbyK wrote:
Dedicated_Dad wrote:wife put windex in my water-squirt-bottle - if it wasn't blue, someone could have lost an eye.
DD,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your wife routinely make low-to-mid-grade chemical weapons that she calls "Cleaners?"

Shouldn't HazMat be called if she gets within 50 feet of a source of Windex?

-Bobby
Yup. Came home TODAY in fact to find she'd been after the tile in the pool-room/man cave. Sitting here freezing right now with all the windows and doors open... :roll:

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:46 pm Well, if you've never had to drain and purge two out of the four hydraulic systems on a B747, trust me. You do not wanna go there. Skydrol is horrible, beyond nasty stuff. As can be attested to by two former co-workers of mine who were up in the gear well cleaning up the mess from a hydraulic leak, when the customer's rep up in the cockpit decided to pressurize the system. The leak hadn't been fixed yet.
Extreme necropost to note that one of these guys is currently dying of cancer, per a conversation today with a mutual friend (we all worked together at the old employer and we both ended up at the current one). We've both lost contact with the other guy, so no idea how he is doing. So yeah, don't fuck around with Skydrol and use lockout tagout. This specific incident probably wouldn't happen at the current place because of better procedures, although we've still had our share of less severe issues with the stuff.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I have 2 or 3lb W231 can half full of Unique given to me by an old shipmate. I know it's Unique. I still won't use it for anything but feckless fun in the desert (involving toilet paper tubes, duct tape and cannon fuse).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story