Small Rifle or Pistol Primers

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Vonz90

Small Rifle or Pistol Primers

Post by Vonz90 »

With the ammo Armageddon going on I decided to start reloading for my pistols, starting with 40 and then probably 9mm and 45 ACP.

I have been reloading regularly for years (8×57, 308, 243, 223) but I have not done pistols since I was a teenager on my Dad's press.

Powder I found and bought (I went with Longshot), I have a fair amount of brass (old habits and all) and it looks like bullets are out there to be bought if not my first choice of them but it will work.

Primers seem to be unobtainium though. However, I have at least 2k small rifle primers. Looking at some other forums out in internet land it seems some people report good results using them for pistols. They tend to be thicker cups so might not work in pistols with weaker pin strikes, but assuming that is not a problem and one stays conservative on the load, I would think it would at least be safe enough.

Any thoughts pro or con?
Netpackrat

Re: Small Rifle or Pistol Primers

Post by Netpackrat »

I'd probably do it if I had to, but fortunately I am not yet scraping that deep in the component barrel. Definitely start at the lower end with your powder charge.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I used some as an experiment, mine needed a good hard primer strike to ignite so it didn't work in a few of my .357's reliably and wouldn't seat all the way in some of my brass. It also gives a boost so ditto what NPR said, start a bit lower than you might think.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
toad

Post by toad »

Damn....anybody got plans for a breech loading flint look . Are we going to be squeezing chickens for nitrates. Maybe a propane gun ?
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Well I finally found 40 SW dies. Paid about $30 or so more than normal times but at least they are on the way. The normal priced places were all out or back ordered to infinity.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Wish you were closer for some no-Hazmat shipping involved horsetrading. Got an overabundance of small pistol target primers.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:14 pm Wish you were closer for some no-Hazmat shipping involved horsetrading. Got an overabundance of small pistol target primers.
Thanks but all good. I have 1k of small rifle primers that I did not like in the AR taking up space, so if those work it is bonus. If not it seems primers prices are starting to come back to earth anyway.