1916 Erfurt .98 Karbine

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Early James

1916 Erfurt .98 Karbine

Post by Early James »

I’ve got an old WW1 Erfurt 1916 .98 Kar.
I’ve been reading a lot and most things say the gun shoots a 8mm round. Other things say 7.92-57...
Unfortunately, when holding an 8mm bullet up to the nose, the copper will not fit into the barrel.

Can anyone tell me the correct bullet for this gun?
Netpackrat

Re: 1916 Erfurt .98 Karbine

Post by Netpackrat »

7.92x57 is the same thing as 8mm Mauser. Old military arms are sometimes kind of hit or miss for markings, but are there any other markings like that on it? Not sure what you mean about the bullet not fitting into the barrel; if you are trying to insert it into the muzzle end of the rifle, and it won't fit, that's a good thing. The outside diameter of the bullet is sized to fill the rifling grooves, so it will not pass the bore except under high pressure, when the cartridge is fired. The bullet is soft enough that it will be swaged down in the spaces between the rifling grooves (known as the "lands") upon firing, which is what allows the spiral rifling to impart a spin and stabilize the bullet.

There are some other pitfalls to do with there being two versions of the 8mm Mauser cartridge (which is a VERY old cartridge that predates the '98 Mauser) but I don't think your rifle is old enough that you have to worry about it. There are other members here who are more knowledgeable about 8mm Mausers and hopefully one of them will be along with more information, or know what questions to ask you.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Early James

Post by Early James »

Thanks for clarifying that. I did assume the bullet compressed as it traveled thru the barrel.

I’ll explain as much about the gun as I can... I’m a noob about posting pictures.

I have the three symbols and above the first is the RC (reconditioned) marking.
Just out side the chamber I have,what I see as, Kax 98. Assuming it is Kar98.
All my numbers match except the bullet floor plate with a small stamp above it)
On the butt of the gun stock there is an old compass that still works, but the lens is cracked.
The scope raises and lowers and left to right. It has a 0 to 40 calibration dashes option for up and down, and left right calibration marks as well.

The gun has wonderful blueing and is in good to decent shape.
Last edited by Early James on Tue May 05, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Early James

Post by Early James »

I just noticed a very small marking above Erfurt 1916...

7.92... the 2 is very faded...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's generally considered a bad idea to post serial numbers (or pictures showing them) online. The concern is that somebody could read them, make a police report claiming the gun was stolen from them, and later "find" the gun online. Not as much of a concern with one that you bought new from a dealer since that is documented, but for something over a century old that maybe never passed through a dealer's hands, it could happen.

It sounds like that's a standard Mauser and normal 8mm Mauser ammunition should be fine. But with anything that old, it's never a bad idea to get it checked out by a gunsmith to ensure it is still safe to fire.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite

Post by Termite »

If it was made in 1916, it is most likely 8x57JS.

But, to be sure, slug the bore, and mike the slug. If it measures .323", it is a JS bore.
If it measures .318", it is a J bore.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."