Shipping Ammunition

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
scipioafricanus

Shipping Ammunition

Post by scipioafricanus »

So I would like to ship out some ammunition to a a fellow that is going to use it for some testing. Just a small about: 75 rounds of 9mm.

How does one does this as a regular joe?

So I look up UPS and Fedex. UPS requires you to go Customer Service Counter that is different than a UPS store. I pack up the small box just like one I receive from Brownells with the black and white diamond hazard logo (took that right off the box, actually).

"I would like to ship out a small amount of ammunition." They get someone from the back that can do that. I repeat.

"You don't have the right label." Yes, I have the diamond one right here on the side. "No you need another label." Do you mean the blue ORM-D? This one means the same thing. "No, there is another one you need." Ok, then no I don't have it. What label is that?

"I can't tell you that, you have to look it up yourself." You can't tell me what label I need? "That is right."

I see where this is going - Well thank you, I'll be on my way then. "Wait, where do you want to send it?" PO Box in Oregon. "Oh good, we don't ship to PO boxes. How big is it?" Only 9mm, I know about nothing bigger than .50.

"Ok, try Fed Ex."

Options?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
BDK

Re: Shipping Ammunition

Post by BDK »

I take it you cannot buy it online and send it to the person?
Precision

Post by Precision »

just tell them its a gun.
All the franchise UPS stores are banned from shipping ANY gun related things, including barrels.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

BDK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm I take it you cannot buy it online and send it to the person?
No place I have found online will ship ammo to a PO Box.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

scipioafricanus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 pm
BDK wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm I take it you cannot buy it online and send it to the person?
No place I have found online will ship ammo to a PO Box.
Given that it's illegal to ship ammo by USPS, I am not sure why that is surprising.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

You can ship the casing and the bullets by USPS, but not the powder, primer, or complete rounds. I've never sent a small amount of ammo, only ordered it by the case online. And that was UPS. But they won't send it to a PO box because doing that means passing it on to the Post Office.

I used to think the no ammo in the US Mail thing was from the 1960s when gun control started showing up a lot. But years back, I bought a couple of reproduction Sears and Montgomery Ward? mail order catalogues from the 1890s. And even back then, you could not ship ammo in the US Mail.

Not sure about that 20 questions thing with UPS. Can't tell you what you need on the package? That sounds like BS. They've got their rule books to refer to, the same as I do at the Post Office. If you don't know something, you can look it up.

Oh yeah, don't mail hand sanitizer if you have any. Stuff is mostly alcohol, flammable, can't mail it Priority, can't mail more than 1 pint bottle parcel post, and half the states in the country, you can't pick parcel post as an option. From Arkansas I can't send anything in state parcel post also can't do it to almost any southern state. How you send something parcel post when it has to be that way and the computer system won't give you that option is beyond my understanding.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I am not up on all of the hazmat shipping rules since as a mechanic I only have to be able to identify stuff if I encounter it, not accept shipments. But I do know for a fact that the shipper (customer) has to fill out the hazmat form, and the person accepting the shipment can't do it for them. My memory is fuzzy on how much help the agent is allowed to give, but I seem to recall you are mostly on your own there.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:15 amGiven that it's illegal to ship ammo by USPS, I am not sure why that is surprising.
It's against USPS regs to ship a lot of stuff thru the USPS. Probably the most violated one is lithium batteries.

I also know for a fact that ammunition found it's way thru the US Mail to APO/FPO boxes in Iraq.......... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

scipioafricanus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:36 am So I look up UPS and Fedex. UPS requires you to go Customer Service Counter that is different than a UPS store.
You didnt know? Im surprised. The UPS stores also wont touch firearms either - remember those stores arent actually UPS, but a franchise.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:29 am
scipioafricanus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:36 am So I look up UPS and Fedex. UPS requires you to go Customer Service Counter that is different than a UPS store.
You didnt know? Im surprised. The UPS stores also wont touch firearms either - remember those stores arent actually UPS, but a franchise.
corporate makes you go to a hub center even to ship barrels, unless you call them steel pipes
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/