AK ammo

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
toad

AK ammo

Post by toad »

I've been having "boys and their toys" moments, Has the availability and price of 7.62 X 39 mm ammo in soft point or hollow point gotten any better ?
Netpackrat

Re: AK ammo

Post by Netpackrat »

I wasn't aware that it was ever really a problem. BTW, stay away from the imported steel case hollow point ammo; it causes problems in some AKs and it doesn't expand anyway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Thanks.
toad

Post by toad »

Well I found a ffl dealer that was taking firearm deliveries and decided to go with a skanky old Chinese type 56 from Classic arms. I can afford the price and the cab ride to the store. I've been trying to find Hornady ammo with the shock tip but I haven't been having any luck. I am going to try the dealer for some ammo. J & G sales shows stripper clips , and I found a cleaning kit for one on Amazon. Classic is a least showing their SKS with a cleaning rod. I really dread getting 50 year old grease out and off. I'll try Amazon for a couple of cans of WD-40 . I haven't tried to search for Lapua yet since I just know it will be high dollar.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Most of the stripper clips you can find now are Chinese garbage. If you buy enough of them you can probably sort out enough that will work OK. For steel case ammo, get the Golden Tiger FMJ from SG Ammo. The Hornady ammo is generally OK but in my bolt action I have gotten best accuracy results from the Federal JSP that comes in the blue boxes, Lapua FMJ, and the Winchester JSP that comes in the silver boxes, in that order. Hornady Zombie Max was 4th in my testing and it all turns into a shit show accuracy wise from there. There was a 5th place brass case load that was OK but I forget exactly what it was... Lots of accuracy testing info in my CZ527 thread here.

FWIW most of the brass case ammo other than what I mentioned grouped no better from my rifle than Wolf etc. The Golden Tiger was clearly the best of the steel case, but that's kind of a low bar.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Sigh, everybody seems to be on back order or out, Grumble , Grumble. I may go for a lee hand loader, a cheap electric scale and a trickler. Stand buy for an explosion in Dallas.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dunno what to tell you. SG Ammo is letting me add Golden Tiger to the cart, and I see they have other stuff specifically listed as out of stock, so maybe worth a try:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/golden-t ... ssian-ammo

I see that JG Sales is listing Brown Bear in stock but for more money. I'd rather have the GT anyway.

MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

toad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 am(snip) Classic is a least showing their SKS with a cleaning rod. I really dread getting 50 year old grease out and off. I'll try Amazon for a couple of cans of WD-40 .(snip)
I used cheapo brake cleaner (about a whole can) to decosmo a Mosin M38 once. Worked pretty well.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Back about 15 years ago, when there were a ton of cheap C&R rifles coming in from Russia and Yugoslavia, I used mineral spirits. Do need to be careful, though, because if you over do it, you can leach the stain out of the stock.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

My Yugo 48a was decosmod by strpping the actuon out of the stock, and throwing it in a heated parts cleaner full of diesel fuel overnight,

Worked well.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt