tribulations of subsonic 300 BLO reloading

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: tribulations of subsonic 300 BLO reloading

Post by Combat Controller »

Any update? I am going to start reloading soon for the the .300....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:48 pm Any update?
Components are scarce.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm
Combat Controller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:48 pm Any update?
Components are scarce.
.300 has become quite popular lately. I think I will take it pig hunting with Doc Russia in December.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

No, I had other projects to work on and 3 rounds of failure were enough for me.
Don't get me wrong the 2000 fps loads of the heavy rounds would be straight up MURDER on something. But they will also murder my AR in short order.

I may revisit it in spring, but so far other projects are in priority.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I already posted this video in another thread, but this is the case forming/trimming setup I put together for making 300blk brass from 5.56:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgtuvWoVFo

One of my first lathe projects will involve adapting a Lee "APP" press to feed from my Dillon's electric case feeder, for removing primer crimps.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Dude, NICE!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks. Chip extraction is still a bit of a work in progress, but even having to stop every so often to clear the vacuum hose, it's still much faster and easier than using the chop saw method and a conventional case trimmer.

https://americanreloading.com/en/73-30-caliber-308

These guys have some pulled 125 and 145 grain bullets that should at least make for decent 300blk range ammo. Occasionally they have pulled 220 grain matchkings. Scored a couple 500 packs of the Speer 125TNT from Midway a few weeks ago but they are out of stock again. Those are probably the best thing going for blk range and maybe hunting ammo for the money as far as new, quality projectiles are concerned. For hunting, Barnes TSX if you can find them. Midway had them a day or so ago but they went fast. I already have enough of those loaded up that I decided to pass based on the price.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

In Orlando everything is just gone. If I didn't already own it I can't buy it right now. Fortunately I have almost everything I need for most of what I shoot. I want to start on .300BLK, .458 SOCOM and .357 SIG. There may be some .50's in my future as well.....
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Oops, looks like I forgot to paste the link into my previous post, it is fixed now. They are out of the 145 grainers now but stuff always goes in and out of stock there since they mostly sell surplus stuff.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Danke