.257 Roberts?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
First Shirt

Re: .257 Roberts?

Post by First Shirt »

That's the problem with the .257 Roberts. If you use a long action, to take advantage of the heavier bullets, you wind up with too-long an action. And if you use a short action, you limit the bullet selection, and restrict the case capacity. The .308 is a 51 mm case, and the .30-06 is a 63 mm case. In it's designed form, the .257 Roberts is a 57 mm case.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a 63 mm-length action for the round. But you lose too much capability when you go to the 51mm length.

D5CAV; Where does your friend live? I know someone who might be interested!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Plenty of western young men, women of all ages, and even grown men take a mess of deer every year with a .243. He'll have to learn to pick his shots, but that's a good habit anyways. I love the .257 Roberts, on paper it's nigh-ideal, but in the real world, a .243 is just a damn fine journeyman rifle.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Lokidude wrote:Plenty of western young men, women of all ages, and even grown men take a mess of deer every year with a .243. He'll have to learn to pick his shots, but that's a good habit anyways. I love the .257 Roberts, on paper it's nigh-ideal, but in the real world, a .243 is just a damn fine journeyman rifle.
Agreed. I'm another fan of the .243. I've seen some amazing things done with that caliber and never felt undergunned when I carried one.

I gave mine, last Christmas to a grandson. It has been my practice to give each grandson, at age 12, a centerfire rifle that I've made venison with. The .243 accounted for it's share, and both were bang-flops.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Both good rounds. The 257 probably has better top end ability and is less likely to be "outgrown" so to speak, but ammo availability can be up and down.

I would say that if reloading is available the 257 is a better choice but otherwise go with the 243.

I will say that I have a soft spot for the 257 as that was my late uncle's go to round and he used to nail just everything with it from groundhogs up to deer.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Honestly I think the biggest drawback to the .257 Roberts is that someone went and invented the 25-06.

25-06 fits in a standard long action, and 25-06 ammo is easier to find than .257 Roberts, and the round is ballistically superior.

Savage even chambers it in their entry level Axis line.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

NVGdude wrote:Honestly I think the biggest drawback to the .257 Roberts is that someone went and invented the 25-06.

25-06 fits in a standard long action, and 25-06 ammo is easier to find than .257 Roberts, and the round is ballistically superior.

Savage even chambers it in their entry level Axis line.
Actually, Charles Newton first necked down a .30-06 cartridge to accept a .25 caliber bullet in 1912. We think that Ned Roberts did the same to a 7mm Mauser bullet in the 1920s. While it's true that Remington standardized the .257 Roberts in 1934, they didn't standardize the Newton case until 1959.

We have four .25-06s in the family and they do just exactly what they're supposed to do.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

6.5x57 Mauser actually predates both as it was from the 1890s but it isn't very available on this side of the pond. Which has always begged the question why did they bother with the 257 Roberts which actually has a bit less powder capacity than the 6.5x57.

... And ultimately they are all sons and grandsons of the 7x57 which was the basis for the 8x57, 30-06 and everything that came from those two.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

First Shirt wrote:Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a 63 mm-length action for the round. But you lose too much capability when you go to the 51mm length.

D5CAV; Where does your friend live? I know someone who might be interested!
I'm pretty sure it's the short action - looks the same as a pre-64 .308 action (which I have).

The rifle is in good condition, but the biggest issue with the rifle is the bolt SN doesn't match the rifle (yes, the bolt fits a 7mm Mauser rim). Friend has shot it, but I might get it checked by a gunsmith. The mismatch is part of the reason he's giving me a friends-and-family price.

The bigger issue for me is ammo. It sounds like the round is pretty much handloaded. That might be a teachable moment for nephew.

The price on the rifle is attractive enough that I'll probably end up with the rifle, although I'll probably regret it after I buy the .257 Roberts handloading dies.

Wish me luck finding ammo.

If nephew decides it's too much of a PITA, I might have a very cheap pre-64 Model 70 for your friend.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yeah, but the 7x57 case head is the same as the .30-06, .308, .45 ACP, etc.

Is it okay if I buy it from you and sell it to him at a modest markup?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

First Shirt wrote:Yeah, but the 7x57 case head is the same as the .30-06, .308, .45 ACP, etc.

Is it okay if I buy it from you and sell it to him at a modest markup?
Also 8mm Mauser IIRC.

Sure, but you're in line after my nephew.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe