Reloading Evangelism: new convert

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Greg

Re: Reloading Evangelism: new convert

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:99% IPA + liquid lanolin in 4:1 ratio + cheap spray bottle from hardware store

$25 gets you a couple 16oz bottles of IPA and an 8oz bottle of lanolin from Amazon. That will yield a lifetime (or decade at least) supply of spray lube for the average reloader.
Beer? Personally I don't care for the excessively hoppy stuff.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

Greg wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:99% IPA + liquid lanolin in 4:1 ratio + cheap spray bottle from hardware store

$25 gets you a couple 16oz bottles of IPA and an 8oz bottle of lanolin from Amazon. That will yield a lifetime (or decade at least) supply of spray lube for the average reloader.
Iso
Propyl
Alcohol
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

IPA = beer?

Nah, NAVAIR guy here. So it's Guinness, for strength (Jamesons for courage).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:
Greg wrote:

Iso
Propyl
Alcohol
I suppose I should have figured that out eventually. But nothing would come to mind, except India Pale Ale.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
evan price wrote:
Greg wrote: Beer? Personally I don't care for the excessively hoppy stuff.
Iso
Propyl
Alcohol
I suppose I should have figured that out eventually. But nothing would come to mind, except India Pale Ale.
IPA is not beer. It says ale right in the name. And BTW all ale sucks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

:jacked:
Vonz90 wrote: IPA is not beer. It says ale right in the name. And BTW all ale sucks.
You know, I had to look something up. The archaic definition of 'ale' really is 'like beer, but brewed without hops' (beer had hops), more or less. So ale really was a different thing from beer.

The current definition is just that ales use top-fermenting yeast. With the alternative being lagers, which use bottom-fermenting yeast. Both of them being types of beer.

I go with the newer definition, as I wasn't aware of the older one until this afternoon. ;)

Most of the beers I prefer are actually top-fermented, sorry (that includes porters and stouts). But I don't like the pale ones, and I especially don't like the especially hoppy ones. I suppose if it were easier to find good dark lagers where I am I might reconsider.... After all the first beer I ever actually enjoyed was a dunkel.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:I like imperial wax or Lee liquid alox, applied sparingly with the fingertips.
Ditto.
Denis wrote: If I were to do a lot of handgun cases, I might give them another try.
Handgun cases? Forget lube, and go to carbide dies.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Denis wrote:I like imperial wax or Lee liquid alox, applied sparingly with the fingertips.
Ditto.
Denis wrote: If I were to do a lot of handgun cases, I might give them another try.
Handgun cases? Forget lube, and go to carbide dies.
Is there any particular reason why the carbide dies don't need lube but the steel ones do?

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I should point out that you don't have to lube with carbide dies with straightwall cases,but running a lubed case through every dozen or so will greatly reduce effort.

I think the reason why you don't have to, is carbide is both very hard, and ground smooth.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote::jacked:
Vonz90 wrote: IPA is not beer. It says ale right in the name. And BTW all ale sucks.

Most of the beers I prefer are actually top-fermented, sorry (that includes porters and stouts). But I don't like the pale ones, and I especially don't like the especially hoppy ones. I suppose if it were easier to find good dark lagers where I am I might reconsider.... After all the first beer I ever actually enjoyed was a dunkel.
Anything top fermented tastes like someone soaked their feet in skunky beer.

I mostly drink dunkels or schwarzbier with Pils or the odd hefeweizen as a change of pace. I've had some very good bottom fermented porters but the top yeast stuff I don't like at all.