School me on wildcats

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Re: School me on wildcats

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:One big reason the Blackout has taken off like it has, is because it uses a standard magazine.
The other two are cheap brass(both for forming and factory) and most importantly, factory support. It's why it's taken off, and the .300 Whisper, an essentially identical cartridge is virtually unknown outside the suppressor community.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

HTRN wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:One big reason the Blackout has taken off like it has, is because it uses a standard magazine.
The other two are cheap brass(both for forming and factory) and most importantly, factory support. It's why it's taken off, and the .300 Whisper, an essentially identical cartridge is virtually unknown outside the suppressor community.
When you can find .300 AAC, and 6.8 SPC loaded rounds at Walmart, you know that something has gone drastically awry.

However, we did find 6.5 Grendel brass, and loaded ammo at the B'ham gun show, which, the Minions tell me, means that it's not a dead horse, no matter what anyone says.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

PawPaw wrote: What I am interested in is the .250 Savage, or necking a .223 Remington up to .257 caliber, (or both). Probably before the year is over, I'll have a bolt-action in .250 Savage. I believe that with today's good powders and today's good bullets, it will be a whitetail slayer extraordinaire.
Have you looked at the .25/45 Sharps? Might be just the ticket!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

You people are clearly not lever action geeks , (with a very few exceptions)
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

arctictom wrote:You people are clearly not lever action geeks , (with a very few exceptions)
That's pretty much true. I have only four leverguns.. no.. wait... six. Three in .30-30 (because you're not a lever geek until you have several .30-30s), one each in .35 Remington, .357 magnum, and .45-70. The lever geeks I know have upwards of a dozen or more. I don't even own one in .22LR, which is a shame.

The one I'm looking for now is an older Marlin 94 in .44 magnum. It's one of my go-to searches at pawn shops. One of these days I'll find one.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
toad

Post by toad »

Lets see if you necked the .277 Wolverine down to 6.5 mm could you.......AAAAAAAAaiiee :shock:
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

PawPaw wrote:
arctictom wrote:You people are clearly not lever action geeks , (with a very few exceptions)
That's pretty much true. I have only four leverguns.. no.. wait... six. Three in .30-30 (because you're not a lever geek until you have several .30-30s), one each in .35 Remington, .357 magnum, and .45-70. The lever geeks I know have upwards of a dozen or more. I don't even own one in .22LR, which is a shame.

The one I'm looking for now is an older Marlin 94 in .44 magnum. It's one of my go-to searches at pawn shops. One of these days I'll find one.
The feed ramps in those were slightly soft , easy to remedy, so check the feed on the rifle before purchase, and allow for a new ramp.
I have 3 45-70s 2 guide guns and a 1895 cowboy , model 71 a couple 94s etc etc its a fun hobby . Still thinking about adding a 416 Barns to my collection though.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Dammit, Pawpaw, now you've got me wondering... I saw a lefty Ruger American in B'ham, in .223... wonder what it would cost to rebarrel it to .25/45 Sharps???
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

First Shirt wrote:Dammit, Pawpaw, now you've got me wondering... I saw a lefty Ruger American in B'ham, in .223... wonder what it would cost to rebarrel it to .25/45 Sharps???
Oh, hell Now you've got me pondering.

The Ruger American uses a barrel nut, so the swap should be fairly simple, along the lines of a Savage barrel swap. The only tools necessary would be a barrel-nut wrench and a GO gage. It looks like the 25-45 Sharps uses the same neck angle as the .223 Remington, so a GO gage for that caliber might suffice. We'd need to know the thread size/pitch on the Ruger receiver, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Just what little I've googled about that new cartridge has me wondering powerfully. Edit to add: I wonder how the Sharps differs from the .25 TCU, which was simply a necked-up .223? There is really nothing new under the sun.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Reminiscent of the 6mm Lee Navy.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.