6.5 Grendel tryout

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

Re: 6.5 Grendel tryout

Post by Netpackrat »

Not a scientific test, but interesting nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wipXZygj04
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:41 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 am One thing that is feasible with a 6.5 or 7.62 caliber is using a sabot with a tungsten or similar penetrator. Could sort of do it with a 5.56 I suppose but the penetrator would end up very small.
When they make something like that, are they using tungsten carbide, regular old tungsten, or something else? Asking for a friend.
I don't know, I understand the theory and all and have used them (the 20mm Vulcan on CIWS used DU penetrators with sabots).

The theory is in would want something as dense and as hard as possible. Reduce the diameter via the sabot and the total weight vs a full size shot and you can get higher velocity from the same pressures, but this would imply the total weight should be less than the total weight of the standard shot (probably not fot the 20mm as it was designed around DU application; I think that was an 11mm penetrator or something like that).

We were nominally switching to a non DU round when I left active duty, but we never actually had any on board so I do not know what it looked like.

I would think carbide steel would work, if it had some tungsten or similar to bump up the density that would be a plus. Unfortunately I think the BAFT takes a dim view of making things like that.
my understanding is there are two ways to do it.

discarding sabot - which greatly reduces the weight of the projectile and thus the impact energy but you get a big bump in velocity at fairly short distances. Accuracy and velocity suffer at long range

hardened core that extends to the tip of the round but not to the rear - this keep (or ups) the weight, increases distance and accuracy quotients but reduces velocity. However much of the mass of the of the entire round is transferred to the penetrating dart upon impact which acts as a final push velocity increase. This helps the dart penetrate better with the broad deformation of the heavy casing and the secondary push of the rear of the round.

If adopting the second method and using a 100 gr projectile. If 60 grains of the lead are removed and replaced with an equal volume of Tungsten carbide, the resulting projectile would weigh 117.5 grains. The 100 gr projectile is capable of +/-2725 fps. The 120 gr projectile is listed at about 2500 fps. This would give a +/- 4.0 mm diameter (super dense and hard) 77.5 gr projectile traveling at 2500 fps (muzzle) and having the secondary push of the other 40 grains to help with initial deformation / penetration.

I don't know and the BATFU is not cool with testing such things. But I would think that would be a viable option. Greater mass retains more velocity down range. Your sabot weighs more than any 5.56 round currently used and at my guess of 4mm, it will have greater penetration even before looking at the density advantage. The real question would be, is the 2500 fps muzzle velocity is enough?

With a shorter (or thinner ) sabot, you could keep the projectile at the 100 gr weight and the 2700 fps velocity. You would still have a 50ish grain penetrator and in theory it would penetrate better within about 3-400 yards but give up some accuracy and effect at distances longer than that.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Trying to call what was the diameter of the old Remington Accelerator sabot round that showed up in the late 70's or early 80's. Seems like I remember that 30-06 sabot round being a .17. And delivering some crazy muzzle velocity like 3400 or 3800 fps.

I guess I could ask Dr DuckDuckgo...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

oh wow, guess I've tuned out some on this stuff. Looks like they are still available.

<snip from Midway page>
Product Overview
The classic "Green-box" ammunition that shooters and hunters have trusted for years. Remington makes ammunition for nearly every need. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information
Caliber: 30-06 Springfield
Bullet Weight: 55 Grains
Bullet Style: Pointed Soft Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 4080 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2033 ft. lbs.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They were.224
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt