The gunthing.com WTF?

This is the ONE and ONLY spot on this board where you can whine and bitch.
princewally

Re: SeekHer's Lists

Post by princewally »

Weetabix wrote: I think I read in some other thread here that many items were being copied quietly and "without drama" from the GunThing over to the Gun Counter. The quote above asks, "Did we get everything important?" Somewhere here, Chris apparently said we should be respectful of Kim and Connie's wishes.
I'm not going to get into the legal interpretations of copyright ownership vs permission.

I was not copying quietly. I was very upfront and straightforward about what I was doing on TGT. Per Kim and Connie, they gave permission for the original authors to keep their work. Instead of arguing, I pursued specific and explicit permission from those authors to repost the articles. I have a list of who gave permission and who didn't.

I am absolutely clear legally, morally and ethically.

The other posts seem to be the original authors keeping their own work available.

That's nothing anybody should be able to complain about.
I support rehabilitation through reincarnation. -TechBrute

My Blog
Blog #2: LRN
MN carry permit training
Mike OTDP

Re: The gunthing.com WTF?

Post by Mike OTDP »

I'm perplexed. I left for Australia 6 August, returned the 18th...and found everything blown up.

I recollect some debate over post ownership issues, but clearly something happened while I was out. If permissible, can somebody please fill me in?
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

Executive summary:

Announcement was made that The Gun Thing would go away.
It went away.
We meet here now.

This is the Internet. They who pay the hosting and bandwidth bills can do what they want. The Gun Thing was a great spot for our community and we are appreciative of the time it was available. We may be sad that it is gone, but it is gone. Fortunately we have people who can set up another spot on the Internet for our community. They have done so and we can get back to whatever it is we do in our community. Thanks to our new hosts!

As for the content, the original author owns the content and granted a non-exclusive right to that content to the owners of the site. The original author still owns the content and can do what they want with that content. It doesn't matter if the content comes from the hard drive or from a post somewhere on the web. By copying your own content from a post you made somewhere you aren't modifying the terms of the non exclusive right you granted to the owner of that site, nor are you in any way that is materially provable (you are inconveniencing some of their electrons that they pay for, but the dollar amount is low enough to be below the bar that a jury would hold you responsible for in my opinion), damaging their rights.

No use being upset that I can see, we have a place to meet that is as good, perhaps better than before!
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

What Bullspit said. No point in crying over spilled milk. Seeing as how we returned to the forum layout I loved so much, I think we're as good as we ever were, or even better.

Nicely done.
postmanone

Post by postmanone »

Question, what is the cost of a site like this one or the one that closed. I do not know how these things work, just interested.
sam

Post by sam »

Now for the twist. The Du Toits have put up limited content here.
As many of you are aware, the GunThing.com website has been turned off. So
that contributing members can copy the content they added to the site, we
have added a few pages to allow you to do that (where it was possible to do
that and still maintain the privacy of the members).

If you visit the home page of the site (http://www.gunthing.com), a link
will display to "My Content." On the "My Content" page you may display the
content you added to the various areas of the site and copy it (to paste it
to some other program, such as Notepad or some other text editor). You need
to be logged in to see the link "My Content" link.
toad

Post by toad »

Also consider that people are posting 24/7 on a popular forum. The Admin and Moderators take vacations, have sick kids, get sick themselves,lose jobs, and all the other "shit happens" of life.
Someday Internet forums may have to charge a fee to join for administration costs.

"Quick! Go to the banner adds!"
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

toad wrote:Also consider that people are posting 24/7 on a popular forum. The Admin and Moderators take vacations, have sick kids, get sick themselves,lose jobs, and all the other "shit happens" of life.
Someday Internet forums may have to charge a fee to join for administration costs.

"Quick! Go to the banner adds!"
If ever that happened, there would suddenly be far fewer forums in operation. I know of no forum that runs successfully on ad revenue even without paying the admins for their time invested.

A couple forums I visit regularly run from user donations to cover server/hosting costs, typically on the order of $900-1400 per year depending on popularity and what other things are hosted. (like teamspeak and game servers)
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

I think this is the advantage of fora such as this one and The High Road. Multiple moderators spread the load.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:Hosting for a site like this runs between about $20 and about $80 a month including bandwidth, which CC is donating; and we're using free open source software.
That much? Wow. Suddenly Inmotions 200Gb/2000Gb bandwidth for $5/month starts to look cheap.

Lemme Guess, you guys are running on your own box?

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt