SHTF gun

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
TESII

SHTF gun

Post by TESII »

I've read a lot of SHTF gun threads through the years.

Watching my AIG stock go from $55 to $1.30 today (could have doubled my money if I bought while checking at opening bell today) made me think about it in a more ernest way.

The boss has already started the "can you come into my office". No layoffs yet, but plenty of people (myself included) are re-negotiating compensation packages. I'm in sales and my base salary is gone, working on pure commision now. Went from 100% paid health benefits for the family to 50/50 .....

Back to the SHTF gun thread.

If a hundred more companies go belly up in the next 6 months. I'm going to need a weapon that is not in my locker (yet?).

I'm going to need a subsonic long arm. Single shot or repeater, doesn't matter. Probably .45 acp (plenty of that in the house), or something else that can throw a 200 - 300 grain projectile below the speed of sound. I'd like the rifled barrel to be 16" long, but I'll want some sort of longer shroud for a total 30" or longer barrel to re-direct the sound in a more confined way.

Some one must have one. What are the requirements to stay on the nice side of firearms laws.
drice

Re: SHTF gun

Post by drice »

Marlin Camp 45. Uses 1911 mags.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

You planning on a lot of up close assassinations?
AZMARK

Post by AZMARK »

These guys would be one way, or if you have the $$$ get a .300 Whisper from SSK and a can from AWC.
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

http://www.mechtechsys.com/
Simplest and easiest to get. As long as you have a handgun to go with it.
And no yellow form.

After that, Thompson Center Contender can be had with rifle length barrels.

Both could be "shrouded" with a slip-over barrel extension to direct the noise to the front.

However if I were looking to have SWOS, (Silent With Out Silencer), I'd be looking into a long barreled 98 Mauser (29"). Pop over to "Gunwriters on the web" and check out the various articles. The most relavent is going be the How to handload subsonic rife cartridges 3-part article.

Be sure and read all of the articles and sections, there are tidbits and data in every piece even itf it doesn't seem to pertain.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Why sub sonic if I may ask?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
TESII

Post by TESII »

There be various protein sources running around in these suburban back yards, and along the high speed trolley tracks/river bottom.

I'm above average with compound & recurve bows. A low powered rifle shot away from the houses that didn't make as much noise would be appreciated.
Erik

Post by Erik »

TESII wrote:There be various protein sources running around in these suburban back yards, and along the high speed trolley tracks/river bottom.
Learn trapping instead. Less noice, effective 24/7, and can be in different places at the same time. Just place them out of view, and check them regularly.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

AZMARK wrote:These guys would be one way, or if you have the $$$ get a .300 Whisper from SSK and a can from AWC.
I've seen them before - and 300 bucks for a conversion kit makes me wonder how much they charge just for the mag adapter - Rhineland was selling them for $80.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

methinks the Deslisle Carbine would be perfect for you needs.

On a more serious note, if you are just going to be hunting small game, why not a .22? There are some ultra light loads that supposedly are little louder than a silenced gun. A quality air rifle would probably even do the trick.