Bugout on Yacht

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
randy

Re: Bugout on Yacht

Post by randy »

Did you say "pictures"
WL GOES Sat Data 500x500.jpg

Again, I did this through WinLink using a Telnet (internet) request, but could also do it over HF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Telnet... That brings back memories.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

You read 'Pictures', and I meant this:

The little pieces of information are essentially extracts from the data you posted earlier, with the windspeed numbers here being the most pertinent to someone camped out at anchor off the coast of some small island. For route/trip planning, something like predictwind for grabbing data would be more useful, but a 10-day forecast would consist of a smaller data packet. When you pull that small bit daily, and see that nine or 10 days out there's a large spike in wind speed, it's then prudent to grab a larger data pull to see what's coming. It would become something akin to my double-checking the weather on days they were calling for rain when I was commuting in DC on my motorcycle: Get up, get coffee, check and see if I'm slugging or the rain they were predicting fizzled out.

Although, even just that large-area shot would be extremely useful when collated over a number of days. We really are spoiled with the volume of 'information' that's available via high-speed internet these days. That's another draw of the sea: Slowing down and looking at things from a days/weeks perspective instead of the overpaced minutes/hours speed things happen at now.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
randy

Post by randy »

There might be something like that table available in the Winlink catalog. I'll have to explore.

Being the closest large body of water is Lake Michigan, about 3 hours away, and I don't own so much as a canoe, I've not really delved into everything they have available. If I find a link to the catalog that you can access online (as opposed through the Winlink system, which requires an amateur call sign) I'll post it here.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".