Ohio goes Constitutional Carry

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
randy

Ohio goes Constitutional Carry

Post by randy »

Pleasantly suprising me (of course he does have an opposed primary in a couple of months)

Ohio Governor DeWine Signs BFA-Supported Permitless Carry Bill
At approximately 4:50 p.m. on Monday, March 14, 2022, Gov. Mike DeWine signed Senate Bill 215, which will make it legal to carry a concealed handgun without a license in Ohio 91 days after signing.
SB 215 makes several important changes to Ohio's concealed carry laws:

Obtaining a concealed handgun license will become optional, so if you are able to legally carry a concealed handgun with a license, you will also be able to carry without a license. The same rights and responsibilities apply in either case.

You will no longer have the duty to "promptly" notify every law enforcement officer during an official stop. Instead, you must disclose that you are carrying a concealed handgun only when an officer asks, unless you have already notified another officer.

If you choose to obtain a concealed handgun license, you will no longer be required to carry the license on your person.
As usual, the NRA put out a press release claiming victory based on the work of others at the state level.

I plan on renewing my license when it expires so I can carry when traveling out of the state, and because it makes buying a new gun faster as it counts for the background check. Besides, as a Vet, I get mine free when I submit my paperwork with a DD-214.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Re: Ohio goes Constitutional Carry

Post by Netpackrat »

I see they included a "Daniel Harless" provision:
You will no longer have the duty to "promptly" notify every law enforcement officer during an official stop. Instead, you must disclose that you are carrying a concealed handgun only when an officer asks, unless you have already notified another officer.
It's an improvement which I wish we could get here in AK, but I still think that all "duty to inform" laws violate the 5th Amendment.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Re: Ohio goes Constitutional Carry

Post by g-man »

I have to get my TX LTC sorted so I can exercise that same 'skip the background check' privilege we've got here. Also, my AZ one is going to expire, and I like the ability to carry extra places.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum