Just WTF

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Vonz90

Just WTF

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-cop ... d-officers

After Beesley was fatally shot, a citizen later described as a "good Samaritan" arrived at the scene and killed Troyke with a handgun.

Arvada police Officer Gordon Beesley, a 19-year veteran of the force, was killed Monday along with a civilian and a suspected gunman, police said.
Arvada police Officer Gordon Beesley, a 19-year veteran of the force, was killed Monday along with a civilian and a suspected gunman, police said. (Arvada Police Department )

But tragically, that gun owner, identified as Johnny Hurley, was fatally shot by a responding police officer who had spotted Hurley holding the dead suspect’s AR-15 rifle, FOX 31 reported.
randy

Re: Just WTF

Post by randy »

I look at it as the realty of carrying a weapon and choosing to intervene in such a situation (I'm not criticizing Hurley, I'd have probably done the same thing). Blue on Blue happens, has always happened, and will always happen.

Someone who did not approve of CCW once asked me "but what happens if the cops show up, mistake you for the shooter, and shoot you?" They were not expecting my response of "Well, on that day, sucks to be me".

This incident does bring home the fact that if you are going to carry, have a plan, including what to do when the cops show up, whether the goblin is down or not. To paraphrase Eisenhower, plans are useless, but wargaming this out in your head ahead of time can help your decision process.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:13 pm I look at it as the realty of carrying a weapon and choosing to intervene in such a situation (I'm not criticizing Hurley, I'd have probably done the same thing). Blue on Blue happens, has always happened, and will always happen.

Someone who did not approve of CCW once asked me "but what happens if the cops show up, mistake you for the shooter, and shoot you?" They were not expecting my response of "Well, on that day, sucks to be me".

This incident does bring home the fact that if you are going to carry, have a plan, including what to do when the cops show up, whether the goblin is down or not. To paraphrase Eisenhower, plans are useless, but wargaming this out in your head ahead of time can help your decision process.
True and all, there was the case from a year ago or whatever where the cops showed up and shot the cop who had called for backup and was arresting the guy, so yeah it happens. Still I say WTF, it is not good.

From a lesson learned standpoint, I have been told when the police show up, put your hands up with your ID in one hand (and the other empty). No guarantees though.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Everybody seems to have made it home at the end of their shift except for the two dudes who took on the bad guy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) I’m guessing the radio call involved “man with a rifle just shot a cop”

B) Not sure why someone would switch from his gun to an unknown one.

C) Officer Fife is a jackass

D) Rifles/shotguns at “low ready” are offensive weapons. I THINK people react to them differently.

I couldn’t care less if someone walks into one of my shops with a holstered handgun, I would be concerned about a slung long gun, and would be very wary/call the police if someone walked in with one at low ready.

Had someone walk in with a broad sword across his back - it was legal, but called the cops to have him “checked out”, as it hit the “weirdo” meter.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:42 am B) Not sure why someone would switch from his gun to an unknown one.
If you know how to run an AR-15, switching to that from a handgun is a no-brainer, especially if you aren't sure there was only one bad guy. Securing the bad guy's weapon and clearing it isn't necessarily a terrible idea either.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:55 am If you know how to run an AR-15, switching to that from a handgun is a no-brainer, especially if you aren't sure there was only one bad guy. Securing the bad guy's weapon and clearing it isn't necessarily a terrible idea either.
I'm totally not victim blaming here, and this is just thinking what I'd do now that I've heard this story, but I think if I'd neutralized the bad guy I'd not hold onto his weapon.

When the sirens came blaring up, might kind of waving the police in to where the bad guy is while pointing at the bad guy make them immediately catalog you as "help"?

They did a think-through of this at GunFreeZone.net: https://gunfreezone.net/be-careful-when ... ny-hurley/
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

My Monday-morning QB thought is when the sirens come blaring up, maybe place the weapon (one's own or the bad guy's, as NPR notes above) on the ground and put a foot on it, keeping one's hands still and visible? One could then request further instructions.

One obvious caveat is the "reasonable certainty of one bad guy" part, but there may well be other flaws.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What makes you think there were/will be sirens, or any other indication that the cops were/are about to arrive and shoot the good guy?

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Assumption. If they've got a call that a cop has been killed, I'm guessing they'll come in hot. Could be wrong.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D