Dollar General fires employee for self defense

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
randy

Re: Dollar General fires employee for self defense

Post by randy »

Pretty standard for any corporation. Their "risk management" types and staff ambulance chasers will always come down as it being better to pay out occasional death/medical benefits than have ongoing security expenses, not to mention wrongful death lawsuits from the families of choirboys who didndonuffin while on the way to stand around and mind their own business.

On a side note, in a previous life I worked closely with Jason Hall on a few projects. Good people. I'll have to dig out his e-mail and harass him about the article.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 amnot to mention wrongful death lawsuits from the families of choirboys who didndonuffin while on the way to stand around and mind their own business.
This is the primary reason - if an an employee shoots a perp or worse an innocent bystander, the employer is looking at millions in settlement money if they don't have verbiage to the effect that self defense is a no-no. Its why virtually every employee handbook I've seen mentions weapons on company property is grounds for immediate termination.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am
randy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 amnot to mention wrongful death lawsuits from the families of choirboys who didndonuffin while on the way to stand around and mind their own business.
This is the primary reason - if an an employee shoots a perp or worse an innocent bystander, the employer is looking at millions in settlement money if they don't have verbiage to the effect that self defense is a no-no. Its why virtually every employee handbook I've seen mentions weapons on company property is grounds for immediate termination.
Every once in a while we hear about store owners potting armed robbers; lawsuits don't seem to be a huge issue for them. So maybe that rationale is bullshit. Most of the gun shops I patronize seem to have their staff carrying as well. Not sure why they would would have less cause for concern about lawsuits than any other store.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:06 am
HTRN wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am
Every once in a while we hear about store owners potting armed robbers; lawsuits don't seem to be a huge issue for them. So maybe that rationale is bullshit. Most of the gun shops I patronize seem to have their staff carrying as well. Not sure why they would would have less cause for concern about lawsuits than any other store.
Known vs unknown risk aversion. Lawyers understand the legal risk of self defense more than not providing security.

I worked (back in tge day) for a large company where the HQ did NOT have a no gun policy. My understanding was that the company President packed but was told he could not have a no gun policy that did not apply to him. So it can be done if there is a will. Sadly it changed when he left.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Slot of the no weapons policy push is from insurance carriers - if you don't have it, the rates on your liability policy go up dramatically.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

So, after three robberies, you couldn't find a lawyer to sue the employer for failing to protect the employees? Probably not, I guess. We do live in "Absurdistan."
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Odahi wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 pm So, after three robberies, you couldn't find a lawyer to sue the employer for failing to protect the employees?
Since when do Employers have a duty to protect employees? As long as it doesnt meet the standards of negligence, they wouldnt have a case. Don't like it? Quit, and find a safer job.

Odahi

Post by Odahi »

IANAL, I'm just a wire monkey. It's about what I expected, though. I guess the wife is right to make sure we keep the life insurance paid up. (Actually, we have off-duty State Troopers providing security, at least they have them in the Head Shed.)
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.