GA Shooting

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Netpackrat

Re: GA Shooting

Post by Netpackrat »

Colion Noir's (updated) take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-HMjlr1sU

In the end, I expect the results of this whole episode will be one or both of them being convicted of manslaughter, along with of course Arbery's on-again, off-again criminal career having been tragically cut short.

I also find it somewhat amusing that much of what is being said the duo should have done, were the things that George Zimmerman was accused of being a racist vigilante for actually having done.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Speaking of the Zimmerman case, if there's anything we should have learned from that, it's that journos will deceive and dissemble to spin something their way. I mean, they spun a man defending himself against an aggressive youth trying to kill him into Z stalking and murdering an innocent kid.

If that guy in the video is Arbury, it looks like they're spinning here, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jered wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:58 pm Speaking of the Zimmerman case, if there's anything we should have learned from that, it's that journos will deceive and dissemble to spin something their way. I mean, they spun a man defending himself against an aggressive youth trying to kill him into Z stalking and murdering an innocent kid.

If that guy in the video is Arbury, it looks like they're spinning here, too.
What spin could there be? They chased after some guy who has every right to be there and the shoot him when he defends himself. (And GA citizen's arrest does not apply as one has to be direct witness to a felony to make a citizen's arrest).

Dude may not have been a choir boy and could have been a criminal, but it does not matter. The ex-detective and his son were still in for 2nd degree at least.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I don't know what spin there could be, but the people reporting on this are journalists and not to be trusted.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Fill

Post by Fill »

HTRN wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:24 pm
Fill wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 pm even if that was the neighborhood burglar, and I haven't seen anything other than he was trespassing at a home under construction, the way these two went about was negligent and showed a disregard for everyone's safety. You make a positive ID on a guy running past your yard, so you grab your guns and chase him for 5m in your truck, but at no point do you call 911? That's not OK.
He had a history of burglary, and was looked like a burglar caught on video, but wasn't caught.

Do I think he got caught in the act. Yes.
Do ithink these two dumbasses should go to jail? Yes
I haven't seen any prior convictions or arrests for burglary. Source?

He didn't look like a burglar to me, just a guy looking around a house under construction. Most people have never seen how a house is built, and the process can be interesting...If that was a 65 yo white guy doing the exact same thing, I don't think we'd be saying he looked like a guy casing the place.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Fill wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:15 pm I haven't seen any prior convictions or arrests for burglary. Source?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/ahmau ... index.html

Towards the bottom. I dont thin he has any convictions, but witha ptoir history of arrest, and the fact that they were looking at him hard for a series of burglaries, the fact that somebody who cwrtainly looks like him was caught exiting ahouse under construction that reported a theft...

Its not hard to guess what he was up to when he got caught.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:20 pm
Fill wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:15 pm I haven't seen any prior convictions or arrests for burglary. Source?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/ahmau ... index.html

Towards the bottom. I dont thin he has any convictions, but witha ptoir history of arrest, and the fact that they were looking at him hard for a series of burglaries, the fact that somebody who cwrtainly looks like him was caught exiting ahouse under construction that reported a theft...

Its not hard to guess what he was up to when he got caught.
Who are the "they" who were 'looking at him hard'? Was it actually the police? My understanding was that the two knuckleheads involved were the ones who thought he looked like the person seen in surveillance video.

At any rate, the crime of which the overly enthusiastic duo suspected him does not justify the level of force used, even assuming he was guilty. Even for police (and this is drummed in at the academy and in repeated training, at least in my department) the use of lethal force to stop a fleeing suspect is only justified if the suspect poses an active danger of death or serious injury to the citizenry. Examples would be a fleeing shooter who is still armed, or someone hitting other cars or driving at people.

An empty handed fleeing burglary suspect doesn't come close.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Given that the elder of the two had once investigated the victim while working in his official capacity, it's quite likely he recognized specifically who he was in the video, and then again later on the street leading up to the shooting, and less likely that he was just recognized as somebody who looked "like" the person seen in the video. That's the point that seems to be ignored in all of this, the two of them knew each other.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 am Given that the elder of the two had once investigated the victim while working in his official capacity, it's quite likely he recognized specifically who he was in the video, and then again later on the street leading up to the shooting, and less likely that he was just recognized as somebody who looked "like" the person seen in the video. That's the point that seems to be ignored in all of this, the two of them knew each other.
Who is ignoring It? If anything it puts it in a worse light for our dynamic duo.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The narrative seems to be that the two white dudes picked random black dude jogging through the neighborhood because racism. But if they recognized that specific dude from the security tape, while it doesn't mean they aren't still racists, it does cast the element of racism as cause for the confrontation in doubt. None of those details mean that they won't (or shouldn't) go to prison, but as I said before, they do make it perhaps not the open and shut murder case that is being assumed.