How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by Combat Controller »

I have my reloading bench up and the press mostly assembled I just need to cut a notch in the desk for the handle to do the primer seating. This new bench is much thicker and I set the press back further.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

I have my reloading bench up and the press mostly assembled I just need to cut a notch in the desk for the handle to do the primer seating. This new bench is much thicker and I set the press back further.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:31 pm Dude.

https://inlinefabrication.com/
Awesome! Thanks! They have exactly what I need for my RCBS progressive.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Combat Controller wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:31 pm Dude.

https://inlinefabrication.com/
Awesome! Thanks! They have exactly what I need for my RCBS progressive.
They make good stuff. I have a lot of it and sell it on Amazon. Dan is a great guy and so is his wife Jenn.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 am They make good stuff. I have a lot of it and sell it on Amazon. Dan is a great guy and so is his wife Jenn.
Are you FDGM Group?

Anyway, I got my new 750 bolted to the mount and mostly set up last night. Have not tried to use it yet. I ended up ordering the case feeder from Graf's to avoid paying Dillon's high shipping to AK, but they are backed up by quite a bit so it will be a little while before it gets here. Made a half dozen wall brackets for holding the quick change sets and powder coated them. I could have bought them for about $10 each from IF, but it's one bend and a few holes... I am sure theirs are beefier but the drywall anchors I used would pull out long before the brackets fail in any event.

I need to get some socket head bolts; it is just sitting there for purpose of taking a picture.

Here it is mounted; I need to clean up some of the crap from my bench. I posted a picture of the bench here after I first built it. The way it is set up, I don't need to drill any holes in the top, ever.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Nice!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 amThe way it is set up, I don't need to drill any holes in the top, ever.
Have you considered using cam handles? Much faster, and you can visually see if they're clamped. Also looks less kludged than wing nuts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/levers/handles ... handles-4/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 am
Netpackrat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 amThe way it is set up, I don't need to drill any holes in the top, ever.
Have you considered using cam handles? Much faster, and you can visually see if they're clamped. Also looks less kludged than wing nuts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/levers/handles ... handles-4/
It hadn't occurred to me. That would look slick, but the main advantage of the wing nuts is as long as I only tighten them by hand, it prevents me from doing much damage to the aluminum t-slot tracks. Otherwise for as little as I normally move them around (this week being an exception since I had to move the two existing mounts on the tracks to accommodate the new one), normal nuts would suffice. The 3/8 bolts I am using are kind of overkill; the only reason I am using them is because that's what the aluminum tracks take. The Ultramounts are supplied with 1/4" mounting holes and I drill them out to 3/8". Even with the wing nuts hand tightened, the mounts won't move at all. The entire table setup is screwed to the wall studs and anchored to the concrete floor. I can't make any of it move even if I am trying to.

The Inline Fabrication stuff is really nice, and makes the t-slot setup viable... I bought the first of my mounts back when I was in my old house before I had any thought of going with the bench setup I have now. I had been going to buy Dillon's mount for my SDB but their shipping to AK is stupid high, and I was able to go with the full IF setup with bullet and case trays for less. That ended up being fortunate since I was already partway there when I set up the new bench. I converted it to their quick change system at that time, although in practice the presses never get moved around, I only use the quick change feature on the mount I use for a powder measure, case trimmers, lubrisizer (if I ever use it again), etc.

Inspiration for the bench setup was the "Ultimate Reloader" guy on YouTube, who uses the same rails. Except he adopted them before he discovered the IF mounts, so his track spacing doesn't fit any of them. So instead he makes a set of goofy clamping adapters every time he adds a new mount, whereas I just drill out the holes and bolt it to the bench. Even when he moved across the country to a new workshop, and had the opportunity to build a new bench with the tracks spaced to fit the press mounts he is using, he stubbornly stuck with what he was already using. :roll:

Didn't do any reloading tonight, but I cleaned up around the bench more, and dug into some of the ammo cans underneath it which I hadn't done much with since I moved in and built the bench. Discovered I was not as close to being out of wheel weight alloy as I had assumed, though what I have left is a far cry from what I moved to Anchorage with. I remembered having a few cast pistol bullets in one of the cans too, but wasn't really prepared for what I found. 800 pieces each of 200gr 10mm lswc, and 250gr .45 lswc, and lesser amounts of other cast bullets for 10mm, .380 and 7.62x25.

The state of my .308 components was a little disappointing though. I have plenty of projectiles but not as much brass as I had remembered. Some of which I ended up throwing away, because of the condition it was in after being run through a Saiga .308 multiple times. The new press was supplied in 300blk but I am still waiting on some components to arrive for that caliber, and I had been thinking about switching it over to .308 in the meantime but it hardly seems worth doing for what brass I have on hand. AlaskaTRX got me a 10mm conversion kit for my birthday so I may run some of that first.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 am
Precision wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 am They make good stuff. I have a lot of it and sell it on Amazon. Dan is a great guy and so is his wife Jenn.
Are you FDGM Group?
Nope, FDGM Group is my GF. I am FBA Group. She and I buy from Dan together.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/