How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
blackeagle603

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by blackeagle603 »

Anything special about the cookies and market she's baking for? Going after paleo,or gluten free, or dairy/nut free niche or some such?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm Anything special about the cookies and market she's baking for? Going after paleo,or gluten free, or dairy/nut free niche or some such?
Gluten free, soy free, corn free, nut free, lactose free and she makes dairy free versions of most of it. and non GMO too actually.

It is the output of her obsession cookies and such after she found out she had so many allergies. So she makes here own flour and developed all of the recipes ground up. It is good stuff.
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) Congratulations

B) We have a gluten free, corn free, mostly soy free* facility, and ovens, etc if she needs help expanding.

*we have soy lecithin in the chocolate chips used in our ice cream

(But, we do use nuts.)
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Vonz90 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm Gluten free, soy free, corn free, nut free, lactose free and she makes dairy free versions of most of it. and non GMO too actually.

It is the output of her obsession cookies and such after she found out she had so many allergies. So she makes here own flour and developed all of the recipes ground up. It is good stuff.

Outstanding. My wife's been wheatfree since 2008. Me since at least 2014. She's been experimenting and refining her grainfree chops since then. It's not been all good. ;) She's got some really good ones nailed down now. Her girl scout-ish Thin Mints this year were amazing. Nigh on indistinguishable from the original, just had a slight cooling aftertaste from the Monksweet she used. Those went fast, even with those who normally turn up their nose at her gluten/grain free. Has a really good cinnamon roll too (but it's cheese based so missed the dairy free mark).

For years now I've offered up that we could rent kitchen space and start trying to sell her winner stuff in the hipster coffee shops and such around San Dog.

I joined her wheatfree along the way. She's dairy free as well -- really blasts her gut. Immediate response when she gets into dairy. We have been substantially grainfree since my Feb 2016 stroke (except of the gluten free breads/bakery items we cheat on at times).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Manager's special. Wife's stuff in grocery store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Late March, early April veggie garden coming in bit by bit.

Pulled the last of the radishes which are the always the first to come up and mature.

Swiss chard and first tranch of loose leaf lettuce planted going strong now.
Plenty of greens for us now w/out hitting the grocer, maybe too many. Staggered the leaf lettuce planting so we'll see how long into summer we can keep that going

Beets went in much later and are showing enough for thinning now. Not too many. Hoping to have enough to can a few quarts. Just a bit of prepper practice with root vegatables. Want to expand that to include a couple others.

Cabbages take sooooo long... Golf ball or lacrosse ball size heads finally.
Hopefully get enough to put up some 'kraut.

Pickling cukes have been transplanted and are getting established nicely. Would love to beat my record year of 53 qts. If these thrive I may be able to give that a run.

Sweet potato starters aren't doing as expected. Maybe should have dried and scabbed them over before floating in cups. Oh well, long growing season here and haven't got beds/planter set for them yet anyway.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah Mrs. NPR has been trying to grow stuff again; I made her some planter boxes yesterday out of some scrap wood that otherwise needed to be hauled off. At least this year she seems to be trying to grow edible stuff instead of her usual flowers.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I did not get a garden on last year but fenced a 10x15 area this spring and got it going.

Last frost knocked out my tomatoes and peppers so had to replant them. I was able to protect the lettuce though so I am getting that. First year in a new place is always interesting as I figure out what works.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

HOA townhome so no real garden. We have an aero garden growing herbs inside, and two large pots with peppers and tomatoes, along with a planter with swiss chard and peas that are leafing; they were store pots and only got planted weekend before last due to a late frost the weekend before.

And the mini kumquat tree that winters in the garage is actually fruiting; it doesn't know what the season is any more.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

NPR, the brass changes can be quite the headfuck eh?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.