How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

How's your bug in going?

Post by Combat Controller »

I guess we hit prepper low risk jackpot here with this global situation. How have your preparations stood up?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Rod

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by Rod »

Doing okay, actually probably eating better and healthier than before. Have enough supplies for at least 3 months for a family of five. Daughter and grandkids eat with us at least 3 times a week. Though I'm hitting Whataburger for dinner tonight.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Greg

Post by Greg »

A third of the basement is unfinished storage area (also has the furnace, etc). We've set up part of that as the 'big' pantry, as opposed to the 'small' ready-use pantry in the kitchen. We also bought a chest freezer well before this all came up. Supply-wise, we're fine. No worries even during the worst panic buying. Not even for tp, which we'd always stocked generously.

My company has been on mandatory everyone works remotely for a couple weeks now. Everyone already was allowed to work from home at least 1 day a week so nobody was unprepared. Things look to be really about the same work-wise.

I've been getting a lot more dry fire practice in including working on one handed pistol operation. That's been really useful my trigger work left handed was *really* bad, now I point much better and the trigger work is only lousy. ;) (DA on one of the 229's)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Right on! We live in FL now so we are already stocked for hurricanes and I work from home when I am not traveling so not much has changed other than I don't get on a plane every other week. BUT I am now finally 80% done setting up my reloading bench. It's been about 2 1/2 years since I did anything so this is going to be interesting... Our tenant in our guest house has gone to Puerto Rico to be with his mom until it blows over so we have been self isolated almost 3 weeks now. I think I have left the house 4 or 5 times total to go to the store.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

https://youtu.be/X8vWZYPp9zA

This guy appears to be doing it right.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Still working. I'm essential.

:D
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I switched to working from home last week. Wife has been doing it for like 3 weeks. (Both "essential" businesses/ jobs, but can do from home). The engineers and techs who work for me at the plant in SC are still going in, but the ones here are all remote now. I have a couple months meat in the freezer, we are on well water, and have a NG generator hard wired. Wife has a side GF baking businesses (which is on hold except for interweb orders) so we probably could have baked goodies for months too if it came to it. All services are fine and stores are stocked, so no complaints.

Really, praying for everyone else. Things here are good.
g-man

Post by g-man »

SWMBO and the kids are holed up in the house near Ft Hood. Only going out to get curbside service groceries at HEB, then back to the house to disinfect said groceries and put them away. Even with the slightly limited availability, she's getting a bit further ahead each week. Probably helps that I'm not there eating. Still having ~180lbs of bison in the freezer is a HUGE load off my mind, and since she bought a replacement for her KitchenAid mixer that bit the dust she can turn the baking stockpile into bread, which is good. Big fenced back yard and long driveway mean the kiddos have lots of space to play outside. Though that resulted in a bit of a kerfluffle when DD picked up an Amazon package trying to be helpful.

I'm still in Germany, heading to Poland soon. Zero cases here on our installation, though the region we're in is really bad. I'm not going out on patrols this time, but being deployed during a f*cking global pandemic is a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I may have mentioned previously, that I have the misfortune of working at the intersection of two industries which have been deemed essential. A couple weeks ago, we had a guy sent home who was sick and experiencing chills. A few days later, he was back at work and when I asked how he was doing, he coughed jokingly and said he'd had a fever a couple days previously but was feeling fine, hadn't seen a doctor, nor tried to get tested.

To say I was irate would be a bit of an understatement (this was 3 days after my uncle in Seattle died)... I left the building and called our boss to ask what the $%^& this individual was doing back, and boss claimed he hadn't been told about him having a fever, etc and that he would deal with it. Supposedly the next day the dude got cleared by a doctor to come back (I was on my weekend at that point), but I know damn well he didn't get tested because even if they'd had the test kit available nobody is getting results back that fast. Also wouldn't be surprised if he lied to the doctor as well. He's back at work now but I have not been, since I informed my boss that I would be self quarantining at home for the next 2 weeks, which seems to have accepted okay. Can only control what I do, etc. Another guy on my shift came down with a sore throat and cough and when he was feeling somewhat better he went back to work, I am told only to be sent home again and told not to come back until cleared by a doctor.

I have probably got whatever he has since I've had some kind of creeping crud the last few days but at least no fever thus far. Not sure if it is a lingering of the last cold that I had just about gotten over, or something different. Regardless I will probably need to see a doctor at some point and get cleared before going back. Which I am not in any particular hurry to do anyways, given all that is going on, and the fact that I seem to catch every little bug that goes around since forever. Wife mentioned maybe having caught a bit of my cold last week but she's said nothing further on it so as usual, the bug probably died shortly after biting her. Kids seem OK so far.

Haven't been doing as much as I would like to as far as keeping busy because can't run to store to buy stuff and wouldn't want to right now anyway. I have not been working much on my Jeep (mostly done with engine swap) because I only have so many rolls of paper towels on hand and I want to reserve them for use in the house as much as possible. I did manage to scrape up enough parts to finish up one of my AK builds at least. Probably do some reloading simply because I have the components, not that I really need more ammo. I guess the range is still operating under restrictions but I have no intention of going there any time soon. I may try to do some gunkoting if it looks like I can do so without using up too many paper towels on the prep and clean up.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Turns out my entire lifestyle is essentially self-quarantine, so not much different except I can't get to the range. I stripped and cleaned an automatic watch movement and got it running again, so that's fun.

I'm "essential" so, I'm one of the 2 of 6 still coming to the office. I could work at home, but I'd get less done, and we need the cars in the lot so the local ne'er-do-wells don't get excited about an empty building.

We're limited on TP, but that's all. My wife has never really bought into stocking up and rotating with me, but I'm hoping this will change that. Plenty to eat, though. Plenty of meat in the freezer and older canned goods.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D