How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by Precision »

SoupOrMan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm Red Loctite melts at 500 degrees F, so it looks like most of the heat guns at Lowe's or Menards would take care of it.
The heat of the element isn't the thing. The BTU output of the gun is the thing. As they say a bic lighter produces a 3000+ degree flame but you aren't doing much with its 200 BTU's. The same temperature from a plumbing torch but 8-12k BTU's, at a time makes a big difference.

that said, what would stop you from putting 2/3's of the lower in an ice and water bath and torching right where the loctite is with that plumbing torch?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

I use the fancy heat gun, set at 560 F for shrink tubing. It works great, without burning the tubing. But I know the air coming out isn't 560, and the BTU's aren't listed. Hence, the element temperature (actually, I only THINK that's what it's measuring, that really depends on where the TC atually sits).
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

You don't need to get it to melt temp necessarily do you? Wouldn't you just need to get up to the materials Tg (glass transition temp) where it starts to change states and softens?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

You don't need to get it to melt temp necessarily do you? Wouldn't you just need to get up to the materials Tg (glass transition temp) where it starts to change states and softens?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

If I can get it to melt I can clean it out of the threads more easily.

Also, my recent canister of M193 came in, so that's nice, too.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I borrowed my dad's Porter-Cable inexpensive heat gun to remove the stubborn buffer tube.

It worked well. All told it took about ten minutes of moving the gun around the castle nut to loosen the red threadlocker. It returned to a liquid state and the castle nut came loose easily.

The commercial tube has been replaced with a Primary Weapons Systems tube that uses a ratchet locking system for its castle nut. I will be interested to see how fast it works itself loose. Should that happen, I figure either blue thread locker or staking can stop it just fine.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I like the green penetrating loctite for AR castle nuts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

How much heat does that need to remove it?

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's more comparable to the blue loctite, maybe a little "lockier" and I would expect the heat gun would do a fine job of removing it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I'm considered essential, so my life has actually changed very little, other than wearing a mask and gloves. I even picked up an extra, part time job delivering pizza so that I could replenish my emergency fund.

it's all no contact delivery these days with tips prepaid on the credit card, so it's all good.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.