How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Netpackrat

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by Netpackrat »

Had time to run the new press a little tonight. Was an exercise in frustration for a while but I think I finally got it working OK. The case feed wasn't grabbing cases from the tube most of the time at first, which turned out to be a simple adjustment, and I had lots of problems with the primer feed... Spilled primers, feeding two at a time, not feeding any, etc. Had to take it apart and managed to adjust the length of the ram so it would only try to pick up one primer from the magazine at a time. It was like they just threw it together and didn't bother to see if it worked at all. Once I put the feed back together it seemed to mostly be OK after that, although I did get one upside down primer. Will have to see if it continues to give problems or if that was just a fluke.

I only loaded 50 rounds of 300blk subs, because I want to chrono and test them before loading more. It's a load I have used before except this is a different brand of brass, so I want to make sure they are still subsonic before I load up the rest of the 500. Also want to wait on that until after the electric case feeder arrives. :roll: I expect the next caliber I will run on it is 10mm since that seems to be what I have the most components for at the moment.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So yeah, really glad I didn't load up 500 rounds, wish I had only loaded more like 10 or 20. Was quite surprised to see a 120+ fps increase with the change in brass manufacturer to Starline; the 10 shot average was 1098fps, where I had been at 975 using RP brass and otherwise the same components and charge weight out of the same rifle. Will have to drop it down a little to get it into the 1000-1050 range.

The other thing that was really interesting, was that the ammo produced by the Dillon had about the best extreme spread (14fps) and standard deviation (4) out of any load I have ever tested. To include meticulously assembled loads with individually weighed charges. Some of my blackout loads last year were in the same ballpark, but I would have never expected that from a sub load produced on a progressive machine. Of course it may have just been a fluke too; I don't know since I haven't used the reloader for anything else yet.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Sounds like it was thicker brass.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:23 pm Sounds like it was thicker brass.
Probably. Tested another load that was just a change from the Remington commercial brass, to Lake City 5.56 re-formed into 300 Blackout, and I only saw a 3 fps difference there. :roll:

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The wife was furloughed and probably going to be let go, so she quit and decided to go all in on the baking business. I guess it is working because she just received an order for 5k cookies. :shock:

I hope they will take partials shipments because we cannot store that many.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:01 pm The wife was furloughed and probably going to be let go, so she quit and decided to go all in on the baking business. I guess it is working because she just received an order for 5k cookies. :shock:

Congratulations! I hope they'll take partial shipments too, but well done nevertheless. Be proactive and transparent in communicating with the customer and it will probably work out.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:01 pm The wife was furloughed and probably going to be let go, so she quit and decided to go all in on the baking business. I guess it is working because she just received an order for 5k cookies. :shock:

I hope you're looking into renting commercial kitchen space.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

I finally got around to replacing the bulbs in some of the exterior light fixtures with LED bulbs. Today. Did the ones on the front of the house, total of 12 fiddly little bulbs.

Note that we bought the bulbs *last year*.

Some time soon I intend to put LED bulbs in the light fixtures on the back of the house.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

We bought a muslim starter kit, the other day.

Got two goats. They are young does. One is a bit under a year, the other is a bit over a year. Pure bred Alpines, from an older lady who is downsizing her herd of 47. We may get a Sannen as well (for free) as the lady likes us and that particular goat got an infection and if it doesn't clear up soon, it will make the goat non-showable. We don't care about showing and that is all the lady really wants to do now.

Damn dog wants to chase them all the time, so she has to go in with the pigs instead of where her outside house is. But she is only 6 month old and has not been broken of the chase everything desire. Hopefully soon.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:59 pm

I hope you're looking into renting commercial kitchen space.
She already does. Has to actually for her license. However she cannot really store product there.

It is impossible to buy a freezer now apparently. We did buy her another refrigerator to go with the one she uses now. Also I consolidated my venison to open up a box freezer for her. Hopefully that will be enough for now.

The order is for a grocery store, just one location now but if it expands we will need to rent her a full time facility quickly. A good problem to have, but still a problem.