How's your bug in going?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
BDK

Re: How's your bug in going?

Post by BDK »

Technically, we’re essential - food manufacturing. Trying to figure out what to do in an industry which seems to be completely reworking itself.

We’ve been doing GF baking for awhile - may expand that.

Small food/farm to table folks mostly work directly with restaurants. (AKA stuff you actually want to eat).

This could be the biggest boon to Corp food in a long time, or the rebirth of the small grocer, and small processor.

In any case, by the end of the month - Early June at the latest, the nation has to be back at work. High risk folks may need to stay home, bureaucrats at the FDA may have to be shot, but just from the perspective of food production and distribution, every week that no one processes the normal amount of raw food, no one maintains the machines, no one quotes/delivers/installs the replacements, the food supply becomes that more imperiled.

Frankly, someone at the CDC, who is honest, needs to come up with a plan to have this never happen again, and give it to Congress.

Obama damn near killed us all during Ebola - our response here has been stupid as well, because too many POS are worried about offending the damned ChiComs.

As a start, every African and ChiCom may need to be held in 2 week quarantine - seems like something the equivalent of a Fitbit would work to ensure they do not leave their quarters.

Losing Chinese and African tourism simply isn’t that critical relative to the cost of this junk - and neither of those places are going to suddenly become civilized.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Tell us how you really feel!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Hey, that is tamped down 🤣

Seriously, after some conversations I had, from various companies... isolation isn’t the best for me, but it took a couple days to process potential outcomes, both personal, and for the nation.

This is really going to change the food industry. I think TB is what made dairy so paranoid about sanitation, not sure how this will affect packaged food.

Restaurants will drop in value, tremendously, for the next few years - rents might take a bath as well.

Might be some real blow back on local governments raping them, to subsidize home owners, as they just will not have the money to pay the disproportionate taxes.

Obviously, this will accelerate the push toward home deliveries. (And, frankly, has shown how the current system is not equipped to start delivering everything. Some Chinese experimental city had dedicated lanes to autonomous delivery vehicles. We might need those more than green spaces, or mass transit lanes

Might change code to require going back to shared contact surfaces being microbiocidal. (Not that big a deal - some brass/nickel coatings and copper will work.

I’m not sure how this will play out, but the “ripple effect/disruption” that everyone knows is somewhat close to happening, has really got folks... well, not scared, but it’s definitely at the forefront of their mind.

Not saying we’re going to be Venezuela anytime soon - but we’re coming close enough that people see how things could, and would fail.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Bug-in. Yeah, that's a good thing to call it. We're fine for supplies, and the (usually worthless) SIL actually has been helpful, working as an electrician who's currently updating refrigeration at a grocery store, he works at night and gets off work just in time to do a little shopping for fresh stuff in the newly stocked store each day.
BUT-
Mrs. O is disabled, with multiple issues (neurological, muscular, respiratory, cardiac) from Polio when she was a baby. She's confined to a powered wheelchair most of the time now, and can't walk more than a couple of steps.
I, myself, WAS okay. I just turned 63 the end of March. Quit drinking 26 years ago (I like it too much). Quit smoking 21 years ago, and starting to breathe pretty well again. Dropped 40 pounds I'd been lugging around for 20 years. Congratulations, old man! Here's your prize- stage 2 bladder cancer. I'm VERY fortunate to work at a great place with excellent benefits. I'm on short term disability, full pay while I fight this, and even the 401k contributions (both mine and work's) continue unabated. BUT- now I'm immune compromised, and feeling like shit from chemo. I would be self-quarantining even if not for the social distancing. I leave the house only for doctors and pharmacy pickup. After mid-June, approximately, they'll do surgery, and after I recover (chances look pretty good for that, we think) I may be able to return to work in a limited capacity. I'm set to retire in Sept. 2023, it still looks like that plan could work, if the whole damn thing doesn't drop in the pot. Fortunately, I work with great people, FMLA means I can go back to work if able, and for now, I do my weekend thing most every day. That means lots of computer time, and reading some analog books too. This too shall pass, and before it's all over, I may change my avatar to my Mr. Clean look - "Look Ma, no hair!" I guess it could be worse, I woke up on the right side of the grass today.
Oh, today is our 19th anniversary, too. Sorry, honey, no flowers this year. Maybe next.
/end pity party
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I fly offshore to work. The day AFTER I get to work, the company announces that we will be on a 28/28 rotation, rather than normal 14/14, for the next couple of months, maybe till July.
So I'm on Day 20, with 8 days left. No one on this crew is ill or has any signs/symptoms of regular flu or Kung Flu. So either all of us were never exposed, or all of us are asymptomatic and immune.

At least I'll get 28 days off, which is good because the "honey-do list" is up to page two, according to Mrs. Termite....... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

O,
sorry to hear about that diagonosis. Hits close to home. Prayers up for healing and top notch medical care.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm sorry to hear that, Odahi. But I like your attitude.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Keep strong everyone!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:04 pm O,
sorry to hear about that diagonosis. Hits close to home. Prayers up for healing and top notch medical care.
Thank you. I have a great team helping me, my oncologist and urologist are both heads of their departments, so that's reassuring. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers, they mean a lot to me, and to Linda too. We're going to beat this, it will take some time, but the outlook is pretty good.

Thanks to everyone for thoughts and prayers.
-Dave, aka Odahi
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Termite wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 pm I fly offshore to work. The day AFTER I get to work, the company announces that we will be on a 28/28 rotation, rather than normal 14/14, for the next couple of months, maybe till July.
So I'm on Day 20, with 8 days left. No one on this crew is ill or has any signs/symptoms of regular flu or Kung Flu. So either all of us were never exposed, or all of us are asymptomatic and immune.

At least I'll get 28 days off, which is good because the "honey-do list" is up to page two, according to Mrs. Termite....... :roll:
Hey at least you guys are still working! We are probably going to be laying down all of our rigs up in Alaska until this COVID thing goes away. BP has a confirmed case on the Slope so we know it is only a matter of time until it affects our operations.