Over-Penetration: is it actually a thing?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Fill

Over-Penetration: is it actually a thing?

Post by Fill »

was talking to a friend about best HD firearm, he said selection is limited and worries about over-penetration.
I've been trying to find a story about a homeowner who killed or injured a neighbor/family member when they were shooting at a BG...but nothing.

is this a thing that happens all the time? or ever?
randy

Re: Over-Penetration: is it actually a thing?

Post by randy »

Can't recall seeing anything involving a Self Defense shooting, but we've had several cases around here of pistol rounds penetrating outside walls and injuring or killing inhabitants. (usually as the result of a drive by with the intended target on the sidewalk, the house just happened to be there).

Don't have any details of the types of rounds or bullet configuration.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You can probably find lots of officer involved shootings meeting that criteria. Defensive uses where the good guy is not backed up by qualified immunity, not so much.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Like the recent one in Florida that killed the UPS driver and the guy in the car next to the UPS van? Although those were most likely rounds that missed the target(s), rather than going through the target and then hitting something else.

"Know your target and what's beyond it."
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I asked my wife and she said yes, so there you go.
Precision

Post by Precision »

overpenetration is only a thing when YOU are not likely to get dead from not shooting.

Put another way. If shit is coming blast it to death, worry about OP later if you have the luxury.

Now, smart people plan ahead, so that part is a good thing, but wiht most pistols it isn't much of a concern with standard / common / decent brand name hollow points. Shotgun (sans slugs) same thing. Rifles -- and yes even the lowly 5.56 are a concern. With 5.56, if you stay away from FMJ, go with heavy for caliber and especially utilize soft point, light game hunting or varmint rounds that issue becomes MUCH less of a concern if you can hit the primary target or anything with some mass. Sheet rock not counting there.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/