What Does SHTF Mean To You?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
D5CAV

Re: What Does SHTF Mean To You?

Post by D5CAV »

I'm not one of those crazy "preppers". I believe our President will continue to lead us on a path to World Peace. I believe in the good intentions and ultimate kindness of all the peoples and religions of the world.

However, while some collect baseball cards, I collect various military head stamps of 7.62 NATO cartridges. For collection purposes, I prefer to have them in original, unopened cases. I'm rather proud of my collection, although there are a few head stamps I'm still missing.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

There's a few levels:

1) Service disruption. Here I'm thinking of hurricane Sandy a couple years ago, where we didn't have power for nine days. Requires at least supplies of food, water, batteries, etc. Weapons may be a good idea but I didn't need mine.

2) Long term disruption, as in "I better stop thinking of this as a temporary situation and either get used to it or unass the area." Basically #1 that continues for more than a couple weeks.

3) Societal breakdown - Law and civilization don't mean anything. Could be short-term and/or localized (LA riots), or could be widespread and/or long term (Mad Max), or even TEOTWAWKI. Eventually your supplies run low and you have to be able to live off the land.
Termite

Post by Termite »

My flying buddies are coming over for BBQ in 15 min, and I forgot to stock the beer fridge............ :shock:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

arctictom wrote:Power goes out for a week or two at 40 below, or we get heavy prolonged snow fall, people get pretty , shady, and they pannic, also any prolonged interuption in shipping also does it .
This is my real big fear - prolonged power loss in the middle of winter, worse still is during a snowstorm..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Anything that challenges my narcissistic perception of being inherently superior to the sheeple. :P
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Prep is easy, and much easier in the summer , I have two gen sets and enough fuel for a month , and food for several its very easy to prep for these minor issues , ahead of time , just sayen.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

arctictom wrote:Prep is easy, and much easier in the summer , I have two gen sets and enough fuel for a month , and food for several its very easy to prep for these minor issues , ahead of time , just sayen.

Yup, another reason I've focused on the relatively short term, other than personal beliefs/philosophy. It's a lot less overwhelming than trying to prepare to go Grizzly Adams, indefinitely.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Scouse

Post by Scouse »

I am new, live in Orlando. Not worried too much about the weather, we stock food, I survived WW11, because my Dad stocked tinned goods. And a Bomb did not land on me!

We are armed quite well.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

SHTF: When the only thing stopping me from shooting folks for sport s my own conscience.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Within the next 6 months I fully intend to be situated such that if the SHTF and society collapses I will not notice.

I personally don't expect society to "collapse", but that society will become unbearable for independent-thinking folks. Too many oppressive rules and regulations enforced at the point of a gun, literally.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?