Pullups

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Darrell

Re: Pullups

Post by Darrell »

I heard that a good way to quit smoking is to do ten pullups or pushups every time you want a cigarette. It'll break you of smoking and give you big guns in no time.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

HS;

Start small, maintain your form. If you find yourself kicking and wiggling to get one more, that's one too many. Do as many as you can, as often as you can. Pretty soon, you'll hit the 10th one, and say, "Damn, that wasn't so bad!"

If you really want to work your arms, do L-ups. It's like a pull-up, but hold your legs out in front of you at 90 degrees (making a letter L). And it'll wonders for your abs, too.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Thanks a lot for the advice FS - I'm really hurting today ( but it's good pain, not injury pain )

I'm going to try and stop smoking at some point soon, or at least cut down heavily. Darrells advice sounds good for that.

Fortunately I've got a lot of encouragement from my missis regarding my fitness training.
A virtual gunny shouting at me would probably help too though :D
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Try them off thick ropes/twisted together towels as well... Oh, and reverse benches, and pull ups off thick bars, and... Well, there's all types of twisted things to do -- don't go too big, too fast on the thick bar ones, though -- I did interesting things to my wrist on an 8" pipe...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Spells

Post by Spells »

Highspeed, your elbows will thank you if you space your hands so that your forearms are vertical at the top of the rep. Don't screw around with wide grips.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm somewhere in the 5-6 range.

Try doing negatives to build some strength, too, after you've finished the positive pull ups. Use a chair to get into the "up" part, then lower yourself as slowly as you can.
First Shirt wrote:If you really want to work your arms, do L-ups. It's like a pull-up, but hold your legs out in front of you at 90 degrees (making a letter L). And it'll wonders for your abs, too.
My daughter does those while smiling at me patronizingly. She's the one I had to give a pistol to because she outshot me in a postal match.

But I still do math and cook better than she does. :?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D