CHL Renewal

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
randy

CHL Renewal

Post by randy »

Renewed my Ohio CHL today. They've made it relatively painless compared to the process when I last renewed (5 years ago).

My old one was set to expire in late May. Given the previous process I started last week to ensure I get my card before the old one expires.

Went on line last week, the Sheriff's office has a contract with a company that apparently does this nationwide. Filled out all of the questions, and uploaded a copy of my driver's license and my DD214 (so they waive the all of the fees).

Selected an appointment date and time from what was available on the site and submitted.

Today I showed up for my appointment at the Sheriff's office, the lady took my CHL and and checked my DL, took my fingerprints and picture electronically, printed my new card out and handed it to me on the spot. In and out in less than 10 minutes. I expected to have to come back in a few weeks to pick up the card.

Technically I lost a couple of months from the original. But since it's free for vets, no biggie. Just have a note in 5 years to do it in March rather than starting 90 days in advance.

Ohio now has Constitutional Carry, but keeping my CHL (especially since it's free) because:

1. Reciprocity with other states. Any of the states that I'm interested in traveling to have reciprocity if I have an OH CHL, and I'm not really interested in going places that don't.

2. Fills the background check requirements when purchasing a firearm without having to wait for the NCIS check/

3. Recently learned that the Federal "School Safety Zones" (AKA Criminal Protection Zones) only allow you to carry a firearm in your vehicle within 1000 feet of a school if you have a state issued permit/license. The Feds do not recognize Constitutional Carry as an exemption. Any direction I travel from home I pass through one of these zones on the street.

Not ever to likely to be an issue for me, especially since Darlin' Daughter has graduated college, but it does remove a possible complication if a situation does arise.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Re: CHL Renewal

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I want to get my OH CHL for the same reasons Randy mentions. Suspect it will take a little longer if I do it in Cuyahoga County....
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:47 am I want to get my OH CHL for the same reasons Randy mentions. Suspect it will take a little longer if I do it in Cuyahoga County....
Don't forget you that can get your CHL in any adjoining County.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Lets se what the Supreme Court cooks up in the near future.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.