Just WTF

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Netpackrat

Re: Just WTF

Post by Netpackrat »

If somebody is believed to be shooting cops, I doubt if they will announce their arrival like that. Even under "normal" circumstances, I have observed APD roll into a neighborhood with no sirens or lights, park down the street a ways, and proceed on foot to their destination house. I have seen that happen a couple of times. Wasn't involved so I don't know what the circumstances were, but since it didn't make the news, probably typical operations.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Even with sirens, Auditory Exclusion (or even just ringing in the ears from firing a weapon without hearing protection) could be another factor to not realizing the "cavalry" is coming and prepping to not be the next Blue on Blue statistic.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

The CCW instructor in the class I took told us after stopping the perp, holster our weapon and DO NOT stand around holding the perp's weapon.

In this instance, cops rolled up looking for a shooter with an AR, which had been reported by multiple calls to 911. They shot the person holding the AR.
Yes, it is a tragedy. Yes, the cops should probably have warned first before shooting. But the "good guy" was foolish to pick up the AR after the perp had been neutralized.
Additionally, one of the cops' "own"(another cop) had just been killed; they were on "hair trigger".
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

I think that’s actually the opposite - I think if cops are being targeted, that’s the last thing they would do.

(It doesn’t make sense to me. If I’m playing lethal “Marco Polo,” I wouldn’t scream “Polo” at 100 db+
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:13 pm I look at it as the realty of carrying a weapon and choosing to intervene in such a situation (I'm not criticizing Hurley, I'd have probably done the same thing). Blue on Blue happens, has always happened, and will always happen.

Someone who did not approve of CCW once asked me "but what happens if the cops show up, mistake you for the shooter, and shoot you?" They were not expecting my response of "Well, on that day, sucks to be me".

This incident does bring home the fact that if you are going to carry, have a plan, including what to do when the cops show up, whether the goblin is down or not. To paraphrase Eisenhower, plans are useless, but wargaming this out in your head ahead of time can help your decision process.
I would add and of ways to die, it sure beats dementia. Do what is right to the best of your knowledge and ability. Let the rest sort itself out. Sometimes the dice roll "sucks to be you". Man up and take that roll as way more often if you live doing right, the dice roll "bonus for the good guy".
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/