Cold Steel Sword Cane

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
toad

Cold Steel Sword Cane

Post by toad »

Midway USA had them for about $68 so I ordered one and I'm waiting for delivery. I'll probably have to cut the tube scabbard down a bit . I may or may not have to rough up the grip forward of the O ring and perhaps the back of the blade near the grip to keep my had from sliding forward if I thrust into something hard. I don't want my hand to slide forward and slice my hand up.
I need to think about self training with it because my sword work is "new style" wrist action instead of the heavy old style sabre action.
I'm wondering if anybody has used one lately. :?:
Weetabix

Re: Cold Steel Sword Cane

Post by Weetabix »

I bought one a few years ago as a lark. I saw it on armslist and told my daughter about it. She REALLY thought I needed a sword cane, so I got it.

Honestly, I haven't used it much - it's a bit too tall for me. I actually need canes from time to time because of terrible knees.

I'll be interested to know how the cutting goes. I'll try it if it works for you.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

That's kind of tempting. Used to fence foil (the university club didn't have any LH epees or sabres and I was broke), so smallsword would be up my alley.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
toad

Post by toad »

Pant, Pant, Wheeze, : I got the sword cane yesterday . I just finished trimming the scabbard down by three inches. MY hack saw disappeared during a clean up apparently so I ended up using my Black and Decker version of a Dremel tool. There is a rubber insert that keeps the sword from rattling around and I had to take the rubber tip off of again to put it back inside. I had to tape the rubber insert up it would be large enough to friction fit into the aluminum tube. There were a number of curse words involved as I took things apart repeatedly and improvised.
I find the best draw is to twist the handle a bit then draw it. I can hold it by the handle and make a draw cut and not worry about my hand sliding forward. This whole operation would have been smoother with a hack say. Your Mileage May Vary
randy

Post by randy »

Pictures?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
toad

Post by toad »

PS: My measurements show you could shorten the scabbard by as much as 8 inches.
Pictures are difficult for me because I've got a cheap phone and a cheap internet provider . I struggle to hold my mouth right just to make phone calls. My apologies.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I may visit this particular modification... with my hacksaw. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

My father had a flick stick. I’m not sure that his made a very good weapon, but I think the concept could be good. A. Heavy headed cane, with an OTF mechanism, could be pretty functional.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

the www.unbreakableumbrella.com looks pretty durable. Plus it's a genuine umbrella!
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
randy

Post by randy »

Great if you use umbrellas.

Can't stand the things myself. Tie up one of your hands, are a pain to maneuver in and out of vehicles, buildings etc., and they never really keep you dry in any substantial rain.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".