Bear & Son Knives?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
MarkD

Bear & Son Knives?

Post by MarkD »

For having endured, er, I mean having reached my 20th anniversary at my company I had a choice of various gifts, one of which was a set of five Bear & Son knives, so I decided that's what I'd get. The set included large (the size of a Buck 110) and small (maybe a 2 inch blade) locking folders, a Stockman style folder, a filet knife and a hunting knife.

Anyone have any experience with this brand? I probably should've asked BEFORE I ordered, but there was really nothing else I wanted/needed anyway.

They seem to be decent quality, and they took an edge pretty well. I haven't actually used any of them yet.

And yes, I realize that three of the five knives would get my ass arrested in NYC.
MarkD

Re: Bear & Son Knives?

Post by MarkD »

Ok, apparently I'm the first here to get knives of this brand, so I shall do my duty and post reviews with pictures as I can.

Stay tuned.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Sorry I missed this earlier. I own several of them, and I'm pretty pleased, plus they're made in Jacksonville, Alabama. Have the two folder similar to what you describe, and a couple of fixed-blade skinner/utility knives. The take a good edge, and hold it well, in my experience.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

First Shirt wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm Sorry I missed this earlier. I own several of them, and I'm pretty pleased, plus they're made in Jacksonville, Alabama. Have the two folder similar to what you describe, and a couple of fixed-blade skinner/utility knives. The take a good edge, and hold it well, in my experience.
Thanks First Shirt!

My first impression was that the hinges on the folders were a little gritty, not smooth like my comparable Buck knives. I'm going to try oiling them to see if that helps.

I REALLY wish someone would make a stockman style folder where the large blade locks open and can be opened one-handed (with a stud on the blade), such a knife would become my EDC.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't know what a stockman style knife is, but I have a CRKT M21-04G that I like a lot, which seems to have the functionality you are after.

https://www.crkt.com/m21-04g-g10-large.html
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 pm I don't know what a stockman style knife is, but I have a CRKT M21-04G that I like a lot, which seems to have the functionality you are after.

https://www.crkt.com/m21-04g-g10-large.html
A Stockman has three blades, a large clip-point, a sheep's foot, and a pen blade.

Here's Buck's offering:

https://www.buckknives.com/product/stoc ... 0371BRS-B/

I have a Kershaw Skyline that's my EDC knife, light enough that I don't know it's there (since I carry it a lot and use it a little), keeps an edge, and cheap enough that if I lose it (or have to toss it since I'm in NYC) it's no big deal.