BIT: Walking stick

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
PawPaw

Re: BIT: Walking stick

Post by PawPaw »

Weetabix wrote:I have to admit I still want a sword cane, but they're too long. I need 33-34".
And, they're heavy. I bought one at an auction a few years ago to add to my limited collection, and it weighs a ton. Nice conversation piece, but damn, it's heavy.
MarkD wrote:Irish Blackthorn. Thatisall.
Indeed. But how does one know that what you're buying is truly Irish Blackthorn?
Netpackrat wrote:For some things, there's nothing like a good piece of hickory.
That's certainly true, but I am reminded that baseball bats are made of ash. Good clean, straight-grained hardwood that will administer a drubbing if properly used.
Greg wrote:Oak, ash, walnut, yew or even Osage orange could serve as well. Hornbeam if you can find it
.I have seen some beautiful canes made of Osage Orange. It's a wood that is often overlooked.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Osage Orange is stupid tough. Also very heavy compared to other woods.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Bois'de Arc will burn blue and turn your stove red hot at the same time. I like it. There is a walking stick here,I just need to cut it out and shape it......
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

JAG2955 wrote:Nabbed it, thanks!
Me 2. Thanks!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I came across this a few years ago and it's been rattling around in the back of my head ever since:

http://todahabukoryu.org/wp/?page_id=33

It's about wood choices for martial arts practice weapons.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:I choose to raise this thread from the dead to note that the following work is available free on Kindle today (don't know why or for how long).

Broadsword and Singlestick: With Chapters On Quarter-Staff, Bayonet, Cudgel, Shillelagh, Walking-Stick, Umbrella, and Other Weapons of Self-Defense, by R.G. Allanson-Winn.
Thanks. I grabbed it for free this morning (the 20th).
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

McClarkus wrote:Bois'de Arc will burn blue and turn your stove red hot at the same time. I like it. There is a walking stick here,I just need to cut it out and shape it......
One of my favorites. I made a walking stick (hiking) from this and it is a beautiful red/orange/yellow. I also have used it to make knife handles.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My father was born in the little town of Bois D'Arc, Missouri in 1910. I had to look it up to discover that it is named after Osage Orange, which somebody planted in the area a long time ago. Learn something every day.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

If anyone ever comes across a straight 6 foot piece of Osage Orange that could be turned to about 1-1.5" in thickness, for the love of crap, let me know. The last time I priced one, the guy estimated $300 for it.

I want an Osage Orange karate bo in the worst way.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Darrell wrote:My father was born in the little town of Bois D'Arc, Missouri in 1910. I had to look it up to discover that it is named after Osage Orange, which somebody planted in the area a long time ago. Learn something every day.
Years ago I had a friend and roommate from Iowa who was always talking up the amazing properties of something called a hedge apple. Supposedly the tree it grew on was pretty cool, too. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr