Utility\fighter blade

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Netpackrat

Re: Utility\fighter blade

Post by Netpackrat »

bubblewhip wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:The world turned upside down... A bladesmith in Spain having to import steel from the Americas....
There isn't really better quality steel than what the US and specifically CPM puts out in the world. There are a few steel makers in Seki City Japan that you can call equals to close equals, but today usually all the innovative super steels and traditional blanks of 1095, 5160, and D2 are generally all from America.
I was speaking historically.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:Or you can do it on the cheap. I picked up some good quality but worn German- and Swiss-made files for peanuts at a fleamarket in Bavaria last week. I think they will make excellent organ donors for some very amateur knifemaking.
That works, but be warned, a fair number of files are basically just 1095, which is good steel, but isn't like D2, 154CM, etc..

And oh, speaking of files, Nicholsen has moved production to China, so I can no longer reccommend their files. I now suggest Grobet(which were always better than Nicholsen, but they're also pricier). Since I won't pay first world prices for a product made in the third world..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:And oh, speaking of files, Nicholsen has moved production to China, so I can no longer reccommend their files. I now suggest Grobet(which were always better than Nicholsen, but they're also pricier). Since I won't pay first world prices for a product made in the third world..
That's good to know, thanks.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

HTRN wrote: That works, but be warned, a fair number of files are basically just 1095, which is good steel, but isn't like D2, 154CM, etc..
I wonder how the European bladesmiths of a thousand years ago managed to produce swords that were battle tested and could cut a mans legs from under him without 154CM and CNC machines ? :lol:
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I know, I know. I'm spoiled. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Highspeed wrote:Files are good Denis, but test the steel first so you don't screw it up at the heat treat stage.

#1) Get a little test piece red hot

{snip}

#4) Have Fun ! :D
HS - have you ever posted a primer for the amateur wannabe knife maker?

If not, are you willing?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

No, and Yes ;)

I think I should sub title it " How to avoid making the same mistakes I did " though :)
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Waiting patiently, but eagerly. 8-)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

bubblewhip wrote:There isn't really better quality steel than what the US and specifically CPM puts out in the world.
When big steel took it in the shorts in the 60s/70s, much of the US steel industry changed it's focus from basic refinement(IE ore into iron) to specialty products, because profits were higher. Carpenter for instance, is probably the leading producer of Stainless alloys in the world, producing both standard stainless alloys, and exotic proprietaries, like their "Custom 465" that Ruger uses for cylinders in their Casull Super Redhawks.
Highspeed wrote:I think I should sub title it " How to avoid making the same mistakes I did " though :)
But mistakes are how we learn.. "Okay, we don't push this button when the machine is running. It makes it crash". :lol:

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Very nice, HS. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo