Kershaw Leek initial impression

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Kershaw Leek initial impression

Post by Aglifter »

I ordered a benchmade 250 as a "gentleman's knife" because their lock system was supposed to lock the blade shut, but those seem to be mostly vapor wear.

So, I saw that a Kershaw Leek also had a system to lock it shut, and I ordered a model w. the composite blade, and stainless scales.

It seems well-made, and tight. Its easier and safer to open it w. the "flicker" than w. the thumb stud.

There doesn't seem to be a means of easing it open w. one hand - before I go to TX, I will disable the spring - or, just leave it in SC.

It does have a slim, easy to carry profile.

The edge, as delivered, was awful, and quite dull. A quick honing on a ceramic steel helped, but it almost seemed like something was defective on the edge.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Fivetoes

Re: Kershaw Leek initial impression

Post by Fivetoes »

Mine was wicked sharp when new and it holds an edge very well.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have 2 Leeks. Easing it open with one hand just takes practice. I'm not likely to explain it very well, but try opening and closing it very slowly a couple of times, from fully open to fully closed and back and you should get a feel for a opposing forces involved.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Fivetoes wrote:Mine was wicked sharp when new and it holds an edge very well.
Ditto for all three I've bought. Two are all stainless, the third had blue/black scales, gave two to my sisters. I can put a wicked edge on mine with a DMT.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I loved mine until I beat it to death. The spring broke a couple years ago and I still have the pile of parts I intended to ship back to Kershaw. Mine took a sharp edge but never held it very well. Thanks for reminding me I need another one.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

OK, well I'll call Kershaw about it. The blade is visibly rough - I've seen posts on-line about Benchmade having similar problems, so I'm sure it happens.

My last Kershaw, bought ~1995, was quite sharp, but loose. It opened quickly, including in my pocket - the current design is a vast improvement.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've got an all stainless Leek I bought in 2004. I've replaced the spring twice and the lock once. The lock is just plastic, and mine broke one time when the knife was dropped. I carried it for a year after that and only had it start opening once unexpectedly (which led to a bandaid and an order for a replacement lock).

I love it and it has been very reliable for me other than the replacement springs; the original went 5 years, the replacement only one each ( its broken again so the knife only opens halfway then becomes thumb stud opening). Wondering if the springs come from 'somewhere else' now....
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Only real complaint I have is the tip is a bit fragile. All three of the Kershaw's I have (two Leeks and a Blur) came razor sharp out of the box.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.