Ceramic Kitchen Knives

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Precision

Re: Ceramic Kitchen Knives

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:My good set, the set I used as a Pro Chef are Global.
It's funny, but everybody who uses kitchen knives for a living invariably choose Either Mac or Global, both brands I've never seen in retail.
They are good knives and for the money a great value. The moly steel they use holds a good edge and the edge lasts quite well. The unibody construction is good, the balance is great. I got them when they first came to the US. I own the very first western style chef's knife imported. I even got it at a discount because it was used as an advertising prop and not in its original wrapper. The lady at the retail store would call me after each new photo shoot and see if I wanted what they had just shot. 20% off is a good thing.

Here is where I buy my culinary knives.

http://www.jbprince.com/

Decent prices and a very good company.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

I'm a fan of my Ginsu set. It's probably not "chef" quality but it does work nicely in my kitchen. The steak knives get the most use from me, and they are still sharp after a year plus. Though that may be because I rotate through them.

Probably paid more for the name, but it was a gift & I did get 6 steak knives, a 7" Santoku(I really love this one for vegetables), bread knife, shears, serrated paring knife, a 8" chef knife, a utility & a boning knife. I don't think there's one I haven't used at some time or another. The only thing I would add to the collection would be a tomato knife, but I don't really eat that many tomatoes(At least not in the whole fruit form) so I typically use the chef or the bread knives.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I've got a bunch of Victrinox for my steak knives personally.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Another tidbit of knife care information from when I bought my Grohman Canada belt knife is to not put them in the dishwasher; wash them by hand. There was something about the beating of the extra-hot water on the steel of the knife that was bad for it. I think this is doubly important if the knife has a wooden handle.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Precision

Post by Precision »

Windy Wilson wrote:Another tidbit of knife care information from when I bought my Grohman Canada belt knife is to not put them in the dishwasher; wash them by hand. There was something about the beating of the extra-hot water on the steel of the knife that was bad for it. I think this is doubly important if the knife has a wooden handle.

There are many reasons not to dishwash good knives.

Wooden knives, it kills the wood and will erode the wood around the fastners
the hot water combined with the harsh cleaning chemicals can pit some kinds of knifes. Mainly a concern with high carbon steel. Most people that own those know about the special treatment they need. But it will also have an effect on lesser knives
The main issue is the knife gets beat around in the washer. It bounces against the other cutlery, the washer rack and whatever else might contact it.
Also many people tend to leave the washer closed (and wet over night) A hot final rinse, plus insulation, super high humidity and metal on metal contact will often lead to rust

My good knives never go in the sink or the dishwasher (except for when the GF or son misuse them) But that is decreasing if for no other reason, they are tired of hearing about it. But I am not willing to let their laziness ruin a $70+ knife that I was able to maintain through 10+ years of hard professional use.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

Windy Wilson wrote: ...not put them in the dishwasher; wash them by hand. There was something about the beating of the extra-hot water on the steel...
That's the key right there. Think about it. Very hot water on a very thin edge. On a microscopic level, it will curl right over. Of course, the physical beating it takes in the dishwasher doesn't help your cause any, either.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Evyl Robot wrote:I've got a set of Cutco that is left over from when I sold them when I was about 19. Added to that, I've got a few pieces that are the newer, Chinese-made Henkles crap. One of these days, I'll probably freshen up my kitchen knives.
Don't forget they will sharpen them for free, all you have to do is ship them out and provide a check for return shipping and you'll have factory-new edges on your Cutco knives.

EDIT:

Here's their service request web page and instructions on sending your knives back for sharpening:
For your protection, please print the form and provide your payment details.
We do not collect or retain payment information through this web-based form.

* The cost of sharpening is free, however there is a nominal return shipping/handling fee.
If paying by check, make payable to CUTCO and attach to form. 1-3 items - $6.00, 4 or more $9.00
And it asks for more information and then:
Instruction To Return Product To CUTCO Cutlery Corporation
1. Please completely fill out the SERVICE REQUEST FORM and enclose it with attached payment method in your return.
2. Clean knives and cover the entire blade and tip of the knife with cardboard (cereal box cardboard works well).
Avoid using tape directly on the blades and handles.
3. Place them in a corrugated cardboard box. DO NOT SHIP IN PADDED ENVELOPES.
4. We recommend you insure your package for the current retail value and retain your receipts.
5. Send your package, via UPS or USPS to: (Remember to include your return address with your package)
US Residents - Please attach the following label to the package.

POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

There is nothing wrong with ceramic blades--extremely long lasting and sharp blade if that's what you're into, however they require unbelievable care and treatment and remember that you can't use them on acidic fruits and vegetables like tomatoes.

I agree with Chris in not buying a big set of knives, six or more pieces but avail yourself of the deals on the three and five piece sets and then get a storage block to fit your number of pieces--we have probably four blocks on the kitchen counters and don't be afraid of mixing brands in the same block...One block (mine) of 10 slots has ten different brands in it--each one for its purpose but most importantly is the fit and feel to the hand.

My wife has an addiction to paring/utility knives and without hesitation I'd say there was sixty odd knives scattered in the drawers and blocks--she'll try them for a week or two and then either into the "has been drawer" or onto one of the blocks replacing the one that was there.

My/our new affinity is towards Japanese blades and have added a Gyutou (Chef's), a Santoku (multi-purpose), a Deba (butcher), a Nakiri-Usaba (vegetable) and a short Yanagiba (slicer)--great for vegetables and fish but I'm more comfortable with the Western style of cutlery...I'm now looking for a good deal on a Funayuki--another multi-purpose slicing blade but I haven't found anything under $275.00 and that's way too much.

Try out the coloured knives from Kuhn Rikoh great cutters and they also have plastic knives for lettuce and kids to use.

Kyocera makes the most ceramic knives out there.

For Oriental and Western knives try:
Korin -- Everything Japanese including a $400 pair of Moribashi (chopsticks).
Sushi Trainer for great info and selection on the knives--their prices go to $40,000 for a single Yanagiba blade, no that isn't a misprint!

Mundial and Tramontina--both from South America--are making some very good, inexpensive knives.

Stone River Trading has a good selection of ceramics as well as traditional steel blades but you have to check out Global Sources for their extensive selection of ceramics.

Some excellent knives of both styles are made by KAI - Kershaw Cutlery and Boker both of whom I love for kitchen stuff--Shun and Gorm respectively.
Last edited by SeekHer on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I don't recall hearing anything about not using ceramic blades on tomatoes, and we have been doing so for years with apparently no ill effects. We're ALWAYS careful to use only on a cutting board (usually the nylon kind), and then we hand-wash only usually pretty soon after using the knife. After I snapped off the tip (probably about 1/8") of our ceramic paring knife when I hit a bone, I'm even more careful of what and how I cut with them.

The ceramic blades we use the most are name-brand Kyocera knives, and my personal favorite is a knife with a blade which is a little over 5 inches.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I haven't heard anything about not using ceramic blades on tomatoes. I do know that non stainless blades can get stained - that why well used meat cleavers often look nasty even when clean - the blood does wonders on moly steel.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt