Ceramic Kitchen Knives

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
workinwifdakids

Ceramic Kitchen Knives

Post by workinwifdakids »

Unc (saysuncle.com) just dropped a post on his blog about purchasing a ceramic knife at the NRA meeting.

So, here's the deal: I'm in the market for a new set of kitchen knives, and would like to buy something above the average. I want 12 steak knives, and some of the general knives that come in a typical kitchen block set. Should I dismiss the idea of ceramic?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Denis

Re: Ceramic Kitchen Knives

Post by Denis »

Slightly different short answer...

They work fine, if you look after them. But you have to do that with any knife.

If you're interested, rather than spending big bucks, go to DealExtreme and buy a few testers. You won't break the bank if you break the knife.

DX has even been known to sell ceramic knives without the usual metal-detector-setter-offer steel bit in the handle. Not that anyone here would be interested such things.

ETA: for steak/table knives, I'd stick with steel. Ceramic knives need to be used on a forgiving surface, like a wood or plastic chopping board. Cutting your steak on a hard ceramic dinner-plate will ruin them quick-smart.

I like steak/table knives by Victorinox (Cheap! They also sell ceramic chef's knives.) and Laguiole en Aubrac (not cheap). My everyday pocket-knife is a 12cm stainless-blade Laguiole folder, which I often use as a table knife, especially if I happen to be eating someplace where the knives aren't sharp.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a mess of them from deal extreme. For everything but as a steak knife they do the chore for me.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

If you want knives that will last you a literal life time, go with steel. They can take more abuse than ceramic and still be useful.

I like Wusthoff (sp). I've had a set of 2, 7" chef's knife and 7" utility knife, that I bought in the early 80's at the Navy Exchange in Iceland. Still razor sharp. My kids bitch at me cuz I can still slice a tomato too thin for their liking.

One thing that seems to confuse a lot of people is the issue of the "knife sharpener" steel rod found in most kitchen knife sets. They do not know the difference between sharpening a knife and dressing a knife. The steel is to dress the knife edge. When you use a good chef's knife, the edge tends to roll left or right depending on how you hold the knife, what surface you are cutting on, etc. It's what naturally happens on a very thin, proper edge. Passing the knife over the steel rod a few times unrolls the edge and returns the knife to proper function. It does not actually sharpen the knife. If you get in the habit of passing the knife a few times on the steel before each time you use it, I can just about guarantee that any good quality steel kitchen knives will last you for years.

Ray
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Like Chris said, they have some pretty major drawbacks. One of the few advantages they have is they work well for cutting up lettuce(something that shouldn't be done with steel knives, but you can buy cheap plastic cutting knives specifically for lettuce.)

Also, good ones aren't cheap - Kyocera's start at 50 bucks and go up rapidly.

Want some recommendations? Forchner Fibrox by Victorinox. Relatively cheap, fanastic knife - I would take a 23 dollar Fibrox over a 120 dollar Henkel Professional S 10" french knife.

In general, the European knives aren't as good as the Japanese ones - Frankly, I'm disappointed in Henckels and Wustoff - for the prices they charge, you'd think they'd have a better knife. If you want a good source for high end kitchen knives, Mac(USA), Global(Japan) Cutco(USA, but it's sold via MLM :( ) and Shun(Japan) are who I would look to. You might want to consider buying a really good chef's knife, and then buying cheaper secondary knives like the Fibrox.

And oh, here's an idea for you - fill an appropriate size container with rice and use that as a knife block. Perfect fit for all your knives. I'm not a big fan of traditional knife blocks as they don't fit perfectly, and tend to collect crap in them. I much prefer magnetic knife strips, or tool rolls - both have their downsides - You can easily dull a knife if you roll the blade off on the edge, and tool rolls are a hassle.

On steak knives - stay away from serrated blades, they tear the meat. Two really good choices for steak knives are Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition(19 bucks for 4 - I've also heard that the same blade with black handles is marketed under their Insignia line for slightly less money). If you want to spend a pile, Victorinox Rosewood steak knives are 110 bucks/6 on Amazon. They're very good knives, but I can't see spending that kind of money on steak knives.

Honestly, what I would do is buy a set of Fibrox, then take that left over money and buy a Chef's Choice 120 knife sharpener(Around 130 bucks on Amazon).
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

workinwifdakids wrote:Unc (saysuncle.com) just dropped a post on his blog about purchasing a ceramic knife at the NRA meeting.

So, here's the deal: I'm in the market for a new set of kitchen knives, and would like to buy something above the average. I want 12 steak knives, and some of the general knives that come in a typical kitchen block set. Should I dismiss the idea of ceramic?
FWIW I'm in agreement with Chris and HTRN- they sure seem cool but they're specialized tools, can be unforgiving and most people wouldn't know how to do anything but destroy them. Plus you don't need them, you get pretty much all the same advantages from good steel and proper geometry.

If you want a little something special, there are custom knife makers that are good but still affordable (side effect of an upswing of interest in making knives, plus a bad economy). Personal taste applies, but I like his stuff- you could get yourself something by say Dan Koster, like one of his santokus (or even a Nessmuk, which should make a fine kitchen knife).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Pretty much plus one to Chris, but there's a significant difference in both price and quality between the Forschner/Victrinox plastic handled knives, and the wooden ones.

Honestly, I can't see a reason to buy a better knife than the wood handled Forschners, if you like Euro shaped knives. (My brother has Globals because he prefers Japanese shaped blades and the handles.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Precision

Post by Precision »

In agreement with Chris and HTRN. I have a good set of knives, a mediocre set of knives that I have given away some to former employees and a crap set (came with the GF).

My good set, the set I used as a Pro Chef are Global. They straddle the area of best knife for the most reasonable amount of money. Being a solid piece of metal makes them less of a germ problem, although it leads people to wash them in the dishwasher. BAD IDEA. Dramatically reduces edge life among other things.

My mediocre set is a mixed bag of Henkel, F. Dick and a few other similar brands. I got rid of most of the F. Dick because they just weren't very good fit and poor balance in my hand, but former employees loved them in comparison to the cheap house knives they were used to. Good gifts to them for superior performance. FTR old Henkels were a very good knife, but the bean counters got to the company and now the are mediocre.

The GF has a wood block set of Department store Sabatier. Absolute junk. Not hard enough to keep an edge, but also not sweet enough to get an edge worth mentioning. Sabatier does make a much better grade although the knives are sweet and require FREQUENT sharpening, but they get a razor's edge.

A suggestion for sharpening.

http://www.eze-lap.com/product/3x8ds.htm

Yes, it means you will have to pay attention and learn how to sharpen / control the lean angle (if you don't know how already). But that stone will last FOREVER. Being a true unidirectional diamond stone it is much more forgiving of direction and will not wallow out like natural stones. I have had mine since 1994, used it professionally while a chef, allowed any employee to use it at any time, have done major resharpening projects of house knives in down time and even used it to resharpen deli slicers (not an approved use). Still works like a charm. I have the 600 grit if memory serves right with the leather pouch. And at $56...

This is the knife everyone in my house grabs when they want a knife.
http://www.global-knife.com/products/g/product_g-5.html
the blade is thin and somewhat delicate, but it make for a good utility knife.
Here is a listing of their not really professional line
http://www.global-knife.com/
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:My good set, the set I used as a Pro Chef are Global.
It's funny, but everybody who uses kitchen knives for a living invariably choose Either Mac or Global, both brands I've never seen in retail.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

I've got a set of Cutco that is left over from when I sold them when I was about 19. Added to that, I've got a few pieces that are the newer, Chinese-made Henkles crap. One of these days, I'll probably freshen up my kitchen knives.