Defense and Arrest Tactics (DAT)

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
tcourtplayer

Defense and Arrest Tactics (DAT)

Post by tcourtplayer »

I am wondering if anyone knows a good source for DAT (or similar courses) out there. Where to find them/ what the good ones are? Basically, I'm looking for a course to know some basic defense and restraint techniques in case of (worst) I am surprised by someone and my option to try and get some space space to draw or (best) I am able to get someone to back down by drawing and now need to know how to keep things under control until the cops arrive to take over.

As a side note, regardless of if I'll ever use it I've always been interested in these topics so I'd still be looking for a good yet affordable school to get them from. Basically, should I be looking at local tech schools or specialty places?
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
BobTheWitch

Re: Defense and Arrest Tactics (DAT)

Post by BobTheWitch »

A really good martial arts instructor can address this.

I'd suggest Jiu-Jitsu or Judo practitioners, as these arts lend themselves to non-destructive control techniques, and some distance control.

In the broader sense, any martial art will have the necessary techniques somewhere, it's a question of how that art deals with the problem philosophically.
Gomai

Post by Gomai »

If you can find a school which teaches Krav Maga, that would be perfect. Krav is primarily taught in MMA fighting schools and the Israeli Defense Force. It was designed for very realistic, full-force combat situations and has quite a large focus on dealing with an attacker holding a weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJ64DW4GTA Is a reasonable example of KM in action.

If there aren't any Krav Maga schools near you, a Mixed Martial Arts gym might be another place to check, since many MMA gyms here in Arizona have started adding more Krav Maga to their basic courses and I'm told it's gaining in popularity across the country.
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

I have studied Krav (the only reason I still am not is there is no place near me that teaches it) and do understand the benefits of various martial arts, but I guess I am more interested more of the restraint side of the the class. Also I just think it'd be useful like I said more for the end of the engagement if for some reason the scenario lends itself to restraining the goblin for the cops to pick him up then just letting him flee or you end up fleeing yourself.
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
sam

Post by sam »

I'm not shilling, really. This is the only place I know. YMMV.
BobTheWitch

Post by BobTheWitch »

I wasn't trying to be flip.
I have studied different martial arts.
At some point they all have strikes (atemi), throws, locks, holds, etc.

The question is how do they apply them, and what is the philosophy of engagement. For Instance, Wind Chun Practitioners use close range, rapid strikes, deflections and base disruption to defeat an opponent. Jiu Jitsu uses locks and throws, with atemi (strikes) being an adjunct to aid in the implementation of locks and throws.

There are hundreds of other arts out there, with various approaches, it's more a matter of finding an instructor who philosophically matches you, so that you can develop your style in the direction that will suit you, and fulfill your philosophical, and tactical needs.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

tcourt, it would help if you listed your location or general area so people know what may be available to help you.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

No worries...I wasn't meaning to come off as offended, I was simply trying to clarify because I realized I wasn't making my desires clear enough. Like I said, I have studied Krav (and desperately wish I still could but locations are few and far between) and have considered other martial arts as well. The reason I brought up DAT was I was looking for more of a general crash course to refresh some basic skills without having to go through the whole dog and pony show of the really basic stuff of a martial art before I can research and decide on a new one to focus on. I figured a DAT course would meet these requirements. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there are instructors out there that teach that course better/more efficiently than I could get at a 40 hour DAT course at a local tech school.

As far as location I'm currently in the panhandle of FL (Pensacola area) and possibly (hopefully is more like it) could be moving to the Corpus area of TX in the next 3 months or so.