types of hunting and fishing knives?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Fill

Re: types of hunting and fishing knives?

Post by Fill »

Denis wrote:
Fill wrote:I really like the Mora style. I keep wanting to get a nice one made with a lignum vitae handle and high quality steel, but can't bring myself to drop $300 on a 'custom' knife when I can buy an ugly plastic one for $30.
So spend $50 more with Ragnar and get him to send you a Brusletto Nansen or Norgeskniv with a fancy burl handle... Really nice knives (I have a couple of Bruslettos), with "custom" looks, but a good price, and you won't cry too hard when you lose it.
If I wanted to put my own handle on a cheap Mora....what's the degree of difficulty and quality of the finished product? Good as the factory?
Denis

Post by Denis »

Fill wrote:If I wanted to put my own handle on a cheap Mora....what's the degree of difficulty and quality of the finished product? Good as the factory?
Well, I've never taken the factory handles off mine, so I couldn't really tell you.

You could buy Nordic blade blanks from Ragnar, find a copy of Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop and get busy... Here are Ragnar's handle-fitting instructions.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I collect Scandi/Norde knives and the one brand I do not have is Mora except as some of the painted wood handled woodworking knives...not that they're bad steel or design it's just that I like from Sweden:
Fallkniven,
EKA and
Karesuando Kniven better...

From Norway I like Knivsmed Strømeng
really like Brusletto
and absolutely love Helle -- my favourite Norde maker

From Finland I care for H. Roselli Oy and
Oy Lapinpuukot and
Paaso-puukot
really like Marttiini and love
Kellam Knives
I've used a lot of Rapala Fillet knives over the years and most of them have broken tips and have been relegated to kitchen drawer as paring knives which they excel at...

I second/third/fourth Ragnar's Ragweed Forge as the site for Scandi Blades, he has very good write ups on the knives themselves and price wise damn good--you will find some dealers selling for less but nowhere near the selection...

The main point that I was trying to bring forth is that you don't need no horking big 12" bowie knife on your hip and your encounters with bears, unless you're quite skilled in knife work and bear anatomy, the odds go to the bear so forget the mountain man heroics of fighting off a bruin...

I carry a 5" Bob Dozier Pro Guide on my hip as I use it for everything from cutting tomatoes to skinning out caribou...I have a 3¾" folder in a nylon sheath that I use probably more then anything also on my hip and a Boker Camper's (Scout) knife in my front left pocket for it's can and bottle opener, corkscrew and awl...I carry a couple of filleting knives in my pack along with a large hatchet/small axe and a folding pruning saw...

Our filleting knives at camp are some old 12" ham slicers (various brands) that we found work the best, flexible enough but with a strong spine and we have about a dozen of them and as one dulls we just grab another instead of spending time then sharpening them...Dull ones go in a slot and are taken to the mess hall and sharpened there all at once...

Since I collect knives, I'm constantly taking different brands/models out with me to try out on game and fish so that folder could be any of twenty different ones I have up there...Same with multi-tools, skinners, fillet knives, Puukkos but everyday something different except my Dozier Pro (although I do switch off with his Wilderness knife now that I've finally gotten one) and Boker Scout (which I've had for thirty five plus years)...

Boker Scout/Camp Knife

Dozier Pro Guide
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:From Norway I like Knivsmed Strømeng
really like Brusletto
and absolutely love Helle -- my favourite Norde maker
Mmm. That Dozier Pro Guide is handsome. Looking around my desk, I find a Helle Fjellkniv 4, a Brusletto Storbukken, and a Wenger Hardwoods 57 hunter within view. My handmade Norwegian knife is in the garage with the hunting outfit, I think... The bodacious Bowies from Vienna are in the desk drawer, along with the original bodacious Bowie from this thread of SeekHer's. I got two new knives in Vienna this week - I must take a photo.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I use a Buck 110 for deer hunting. Very capable for the job and doesn't poke me in the ribs while sitting down. It will split the rib cage but not really heavy enough for the "H" bone.
I have a no name small game and trout knife and a Case fillet blade.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Photo time...

I got the first two this week in Vienna. Cheap, because the original sheaths were missing. One has antler grips, the other black hardwood, or maybe Micarta. I also got two little Arkansas stones and a wooden chopping-board. :-)

These two are the typical German / central European "Nicker" style, which is the commonest type of fixed-blade hunting and outdoor knife. The name probably comes from "Genick" (German for "neck"), and is a reference to the fact that such knives are traditionally used to slit the throat of wounded game other than red deer or wild boar, for each of which there are special knives.

The third (which I bought at the Norsk folk museum in Oslo) and the Victorinox folder go on my belt when out in the woods, and the Mora 2000 comes along in my rucksack for heavy jobs or as a loaner.

I keep Dayglo orange versions of the Mora "clippers" in our cars for emergencies, along with a dayglo waistcoat/vest and a crank-powered flashlight.

I have a pile (maybe a dozen?) of the E. Jönsson Mora number 1's with the ugly red handles, which I use for skinning and butchering game at home - when one gets dull, I simply grab another from the pile and keep on working. They are cheap and cheerful, and I order a couple more every time I get something from the army-surplus shop. They take a wicked sharp edge.

Alpina Jagdmesser Nicker 3.25"

Widder Integral Jagdnicker 3.75"

Leif H. Jakobsen 3" (LHJ is a bladesmith in Gransherad in the Telemark, born in 1926)

Victorinox Hunter Knife 3"

Mora 2000 Knife 4.5"

Mora Clipper Knife 3"

E. Jönsson Mora Knife 4.5"
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'm thinking one of those Mora knives would be great in the kitchen, too...
Denis

Post by Denis »

CByrneIV wrote:Mora knives are useful for damn near anything; though they aren't the best for chopping root veggies (no prominent hilt, and no finger clearance to a cutting board).
Maybe that's why they have those Stroemeng knives with the hilt and finger guard...

I quite like a Chinese cleaver for root veggies myself... Mine looks like the top one on that page. I had a lot of fun bringing it and a massive whetstone back from London's Chinatown in the Channel tunnel. Or I use my big Goldhamster (now Solicut) cook's knife. It's a larger version of the one second from the bottom in the photo here.
Greg

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:
rightisright wrote:I'm thinking one of those Mora knives would be great in the kitchen, too...
Mora knives are useful for damn near anything; though they aren't the best for chopping root veggies (no prominent hilt, and no finger clearance to a cutting board). They are the universal utility knife of scandahoovia.
The Moras I have are all in the Craftsman series (740/760/780). I've used them quite a bit in the kitchen, they're great. They might even be more useful without the guard....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Denis was kind enough to gift me with a Puukko knife when he visited Finland last. He must have been thinking of my maternal grandmother. 308Mike gifted me with an Anza version of the same about four years ago. I love both knives and carry one or the other when out in the woods. There is a beautiful simplicity to them.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.