BTW - the Marines got rid of their tanks

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

BTW - the Marines got rid of their tanks

Post by Vonz90 »

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/fu ... rps-152606

They probably wished they had them back now of they end up going toe to toe in Ukraine.

And this was under Trump, not expecting the Biden administration to fix it.
blackeagle603

Re: BTW - the Marines got rid of their tanks

Post by blackeagle603 »

All the raider and littoral stuff fits. But sounds like he has a bit of a fixation on Spec Ops and no sense role as rapid deployment Expeditionary Force.
e.g. Marines rapid deployment stand in the gap in the first bloody summer of Korea. Safed the day there.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

There are 3 things to know about tanks:

1. The outside of a tank is green
2. The inside of a tank is white
3. Marines and tanks don't mix
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:08 pm There are 3 things to know about tanks:

4. Wherever the tanks go, artillery follows.

Maybe they couldn't figure out where to put the bayonet.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Windy Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:13 pm
D5CAV wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:08 pm There are 3 things to know about tanks:

4. Wherever the tanks go, artillery follows.

Maybe they couldn't figure out where to put the bayonet.
They got rid of about a third of their artillery too.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Windy Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:13 pm4. Wherever the tanks go, artillery follows.
Sitting inside of a 70 ton moving foxhole, I developed a sloppy attitude toward artillery. Unless it was a lucky hit right on top of my tank, my only risk was a stray piece of shrapnel. Of course, that could still ruin my day.

Sometimes I'd get a little distracted trying to assess situations and get forcibly dragged into the turret by either my gunner or loader, usually with a good whack on my CVC helmet by some part of the tank.

It's not that they loved me that much: "Sir, what the f### are you doing? If you f#####g go down, we all f#####g go down!"

PGMs, however, those are scary...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

D5CAV wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:01 am PGMs, however, those are scary...
I never served, but even just in board wargaming, CLGP like Copperhead & successors (and OPFOR equivalents) are a weekend-ruiner, a total mellow-harsher, man.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

When I was doing this for a living, I always thought the CBU-89 Gator was a real crowd pleaser. (as long as that crowd didn't consist of Soviet/Iraqi/NORK Tread Heads).

We were just starting to deploy the CBU-97 Sensor Fused Weapon when I got out. I understand they were not popular with the Armor communities we engaged either.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".