Ski Jump on carriers .

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
toad

Ski Jump on carriers .

Post by toad »

So I read the accounts and actions of the UK 809 squadron. Aside from thinking it would be a good idea to take all the "progressives" to a large stadium and blow them up , I got some side notes on the " Ski Jump " . It seems that the ski jump is not just for Harrier type aircraft. It also works for standard air craft also . It is far easier to maintain than steam catapults , and benefits a supersonic aircrafts launch. I think this is going to make the Japanese "Helicopter" Carrier and much more " offensive " , weapon than previously thought ?
HTRN

Re: Ski Jump on carriers .

Post by HTRN »

Ski jumps are much simpler than catapults, but give up deck space(limiting how many planes they can launch in a short amount of time) and don't work well with heavier aircraft.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:19 am Ski jumps are much simpler than catapults, but give up deck space(limiting how many planes they can launch in a short amount of time) and don't work well with heavier aircraft.
There was a study on them a while back I saw. Basically it severely it severely limits the max payload of some aircraft types. Also would be a no go for prop aircraft like the E2/C2 and such.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Limits the size of your airwing. That gives up a lot of space for spotting aircraft fwd during recovery cycles.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

How does the big ski jump affect driving the ship around in wind or waves? It seems like it would be a big sail making the ship less seaworthy and harder to control in certain wind or wave directions.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
toad

Post by toad »

Hmmm , good question. I can't find a reference but they might make it a take down installation ? " Kapitan , Ze Ski jump she is stuck " , Vell piss on eet , Ve tried that sir . "
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

toad wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm Hmmm , good question. I can't find a reference but they might make it a take down installation ? " Kapitan , Ze Ski jump she is stuck " , Vell piss on eet , Ve tried that sir . "
Spit in the back and womp on it.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy