Venezuelan Navy fiasco

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

Venezuelan Navy fiasco

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas ... index.html

German cruise ship defeats Venezuelan Navy 1-0.
Netpackrat

Re: Venezuelan Navy fiasco

Post by Netpackrat »

I had meant to post a link about that but I must have forgotten. Apparently ramming a vessel with 4 times your tonnage is a bad idea, particularly when the "cruise ship" has a reinforced, ice-rated hull designed for Antarctic waters.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

Saw that and laughed my ass off. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I have to wonder if the Venezuelan captain had authorization for what he was doing, or if he was trying to get the cruise ship into a port controlled by his cronies where he could extract a bit of mordida (I think that's the term) to release the ship.

Given the corruption and general failure of the Venezuelan state,it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

I’m impressed the Venezuelan Navy could come up with the gas to get a patrol boat that far out to sea :lol:
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I especially liked the "ship was carrying mercenaries for an invasion of Venezuela" claim. That right there is Baghdad Bob levels of clown-show. How do you top that?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

So if the ship had been carrying Mercs for an invasion, the Venezuelan Navy can do nothing to stop it? Good to know.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Now with video! (H/t to Instapundit)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

randy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 am So if the ship had been carrying Mercs for an invasion, the Venezuelan Navy can do nothing to stop it? Good to know.
The Republic of Gun Counteria, formerly known as Venezuela. Anyone want to start a collection plate going around? :P
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Langenator wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:52 am I have to wonder if the Venezuelan captain had authorization for what he was doing, or if he was trying to get the cruise ship into a port controlled by his cronies where he could extract a bit of mordida (I think that's the term) to release the ship.

Given the corruption and general failure of the Venezuelan state,it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
It seems pretty obvious this was attempted piracy.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr